• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild and Customize or to Buy Reman'ed Xtransfer

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sort of split half way both ways.

I have a 98 XJ Sport. With the stock NP231 with 167000 miles and a SYE kit installed. Current Xtransfer is clicking (sounds like a bearing) When I wiggle the rear main yoke it moves about an 1/8" or maybe a little more.

I'm split to just buying a reamufactored/rebuilt NP231 from Quadratrack with the SYE already installed. Basically would just unbolt broken one and bolt up new and be done. Simple right but I do have a JEEP and always wanting more.

OR

Get a rebuilt kit for mine rebuild it and install the tera two-low kit. Thing that is making me hesitante to this one is, is the NP231 a good Xtransfer to have once I go to Dana 44's (maybe Dana 60's) with 4.88's and all around ARB lockers sittin on 35" tires. I know an Atlas is the ultimate way to go but that would be after the rest of the rig is built up. This Xtransfer would need to last about another 4 or 5 years.

Also does it take any special tools to rebuild it myself. I ahve rebuilt motors and things like that just never popped open a Xtransfer.

Thought it may help if you new what type of wheeling I do. Mostly will be doing Rock crawling thru the sierras on runs thru the Fordyce and The Rubicon ect..

Need any and all Input on this one.

Thanks

Last edited:
i would just rebuild it. especially if you are going to be putting the tera-low in it. it's super easy, basically just reinstalling your SYE. at least the tera-low's used to come complete. when we did my buddy's all we did was split the cases and swap the front half onto the tera-low back half. of course you have to take it all apart, which isn't hard at all.

if you can rebuild a motor you can rebuild a tcase. oh and i don't remember needing any special tools. maybe a dial indicator w/ magnetic base if you have to mess with the sun gear. but i don't think that's the case.

i would just rebuild it. especially if you are going to be putting the tera-low in it. it's super easy, basically just reinstalling your SYE. at least the tera-low's used to come complete. when we did my buddy's all we did was split the cases and swap the front half onto the tera-low back half. of course you have to take it all apart, which isn't hard at all.

if you can rebuild a motor you can rebuild a tcase. oh and i don't remember needing any special tools. maybe a dial indicator w/ magnetic base if you have to mess with the sun gear. but i don't think that's the case.
your talking about the tero-low 4.0:1 case. he is talking about the 2-low kit that teraflex sells. its basically just a different shifter plate inside the case.

The 231 is a good case and worth rebuilding. Check with JB Conversions, they have good rebuild kits, and they also sell modified t-cases. I'd check them out before making any decision.

The 231 is a good case and worth rebuilding. Check with JB Conversions, they have good rebuild kits, and they also sell modified t-cases. I'd check them out before making any decision.

I'll probably be going with this one. They have a fully rebuilt with new cases, SYE eliminator, wider chain, 6 planetary gear, and choice of input gear. Also this was about the same price as just a factory spec rebuiilt with some used parts.

As for getting into the tcase, you will need snap ring pliers, and lock ring pliers.
Total investment: about $40 at sears

I also have the JB Conversions 231 "HD" case. Has worked fine for me. I recently added the Novak cable shifter, which is very nice, and eliminates the potential of jumping out of gear when you're twisted up. Just be sure to use deep bolts to retain the shifter bracket on the Tcase.

David Bricker / SYR

whoops looks like i shouldn't skim. either way rebuilding is what i would do. the tera 2 low looks pretty easy to install, from the write ups i've read on it.

Mine does the same and was told is normal, here is a short video...

That type of movement would be slack in the chain and/or gears wearing out.

The type of movement I have is a bad bearing.

But thanks for the info.

Back