• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.5" lift, currie steering, feels like slight bump steer, ZJ pitman arm??

Boost_Retard

NAXJA Forum User
it feels like i have slight bump steer in my XJ, nothing radical but it does want to dart slightly left or right when hitting bumps on the road at speed.

had an alignment done yesterday and even the guy at the shop said he could feel some slight bump steer.

i was under the impression that at my lift height of 3.5" i would be OK with just the currie steering, maybe slight bumpsteer is considered OK but if i can get rid of it, all the better..

the ZJ pitman arm is a 3/4" drop from what i have gathered through searching..

do you guys think that this could help me eliminate the bump steer?
im trying to make the best riding short arm lifted XJ possible, i will do what ever it takes to make things right.

thanks

2001 XJ LP D30, all aftermarket parts are brand new just installed.
stock UCA at the moment
JKS LCA's
JKS track bar
JKS quicker discos
Currie Currectlync HD tie rod system / OME stabilizer
OME 3.5" medium duty suspension
no noticable wear in the ball joints
stock steering box and pitman arm
just had alignment done yesterday, 4.9° caster

Hmmm, that's almost my exact setup.
Only addition is JKS UCA's and HP D30. Ok, one difference is that I stretched
my control arms by ~1". I haven't noticed any discernible bump steer.
Mite want to verify that track bar and drag link are running parallel.

i will have some JKS UCA's shortly, i want to stretch my arms about an inch as well, just to get the wheel lookin better in the well.

im not new to building vehicles by any means, but this is my first real go with straight axles and steering like this.. i had a bush whack suzuki but not much attention was paid to road manners.
all my stuff has been independent suspension with center load or end load racks, A arms or trailing arms..combat the same problems but just different ways..

so drag link and track bar must be parallel to avoid bump steer..and if things are not so, a drop pitman arm of one size or another would be used to get things back into spec?.. anyways gives me something to look at tomorrow, thanks for your help!
and honestly, it could be that im total not used to driving lifted straight axles on the road and this is just the nature of the beast. its is SLIGHT bump that i was thinking i could get rid of, nothing major.

i will have some JKS UCA's shortly, i want to stretch my arms about an inch as well, just to get the wheel lookin better in the well.

im not new to building vehicles by any means, but this is my first real go with straight axles and steering like this.. i had a bush whack suzuki but not much attention was paid to road manners.
all my stuff has been independent suspension with center load or end load racks, A arms or trailing arms..combat the same problems but just different ways..

so drag link and track bar must be parallel to avoid bump steer..and if things are not so, a drop pitman arm of one size or another would be used to get things back into spec?.. anyways gives me something to look at tomorrow, thanks for your help!
and honestly, it could be that im total not used to driving lifted straight axles on the road and this is just the nature of the beast. its is SLIGHT bump that i was thinking i could get rid of, nothing major.
using just uppers to stretch your wheel base will result in horrible castor before you achieve any stretch. you need to do uppers and lowers.

drag link and track bar need to be parallel, correct. there are a number of ways to do it on both the axle and frame side depending on your steering and track bar setup.

I have the JKS LCA's installed already, once i buy some upper arms i will do the stretch, the arms have 3.25" adjustment,1" shorter to 2.25" longer than stock

Back