• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got some $$ need new shock ideas?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a set RS5000 shocks (RS5112) that are made to fit a Mazda B3000, B4000 Trucks. Obviosly they are not valved for my XJ and the ride is very stiff and the bushings are worn out (Cracked). I also have a Stem-to-eye shock conversion on the front shocks. I want a smooth ride but am on a small budget $200.00 and have a few questions. I do have a welder and can fab parts if needed.

1. Should I take the Stem-to-eye conversion off the front shocks and run the stem style.

2. My bushings are worn out and make a lot of noise. Is it necessary to run BPE's to eliminate the thumping?

3. What shocks can I get for $200-$250 that would run smooth on the freeway?

4. Should I cut off my lower shock tabs on the rear axle and move them higher on the axle?

I could be wrong but if you are running 33" tires you are probably somewhat lifted. How tall are you? Makes a big difference in shock choices.

I could be wrong but if you are running 33" tires you are probably somewhat lifted. How tall are you? Makes a big difference in shock choices.

I have a 6" long arm lift with 32" BFG AT's at the moment for fuel economy but plan on switching back to 33" tires in about a year.

The mazda valving isn't that far off. They are pretty much spot on for a ZJ V8 you are not to much lighter in the front. Stiffness could have been purely a cheap shock issue.

go with bilstein 5100s or 5150s and you'll pleased with the results, the conventional white shock does the job but sucks!

How should I determine the valving and what valving should I run?

i just installed the OME nitrocharger sport shocks on my jeep, never ran anything other than the stockers that were on it (wich seemed to be in fine shape when removed) and i have nothing but great things to say about the ride quality improvment..i will dig out my recipt but i bought them from DPG and IIRC the price was reasonable

the box says they have vehicle specific fine tuning :) whatever the case, they work great, but are bright yellow if that bothers ya.

i just installed the OME nitrocharger sport shocks on my jeep, never ran anything other than the stockers that were on it (wich seemed to be in fine shape when removed) and i have nothing but great things to say about the ride quality improvment..i will dig out my recipt but i bought them from DPG and IIRC the price was reasonable

the box says they have vehicle specific fine tuning :) whatever the case, they work great, but are bright yellow if that bothers ya.

I had OME on my Nissan Frontier and loved them. I did not notice an application for over 3" of lift that is the only reason I have not considered them.

I would go with 255/70 valving(stiffer one)

I am not looking for a stiff shock. I need the ride to be smooth my springs are stiff as is.

stiffer shocks arent a bad thing. less bounce, less body roll. and they will ride better over the bigger bumps, holes, and dips. i run significantly stiffer than bilsteins 255/70 in my foas and it rides just fine on the street and is a whole different animal offroad.

I'm running Bilstein 5150 with the 255/70 valving. The control is excellent both on and off road. I just wish I had a little higher spring rate, as I hit the bump stops pretty hard when travelling at a bit more speed than usual (30 mph).

I know four 5150s are over your budget, but at $100 each, they're a pretty nice deal.

David Bricker / SYR

Bilstein 5100's. Just installed some in the rear on my rig and can't believe i didn't do it sooner. AWESOME!

I ran Pro Comp adjustable resi shocks for quite some time and was very happy with them. I am currently running Fox 2.0 adjustable resi shocks and they are also great. They are a bit stiffer than the Pro Comps but they work great in the rough stuff.

i will dig up part numbers for you today when i get to the shop, but i ordered the long travel version from DPG, and im at 3.5" lift (also from DPG). the shocks are PLENTY long enough, they are the same shocks sold with the DPG 4.5" + lifts AFAIK.

i would shoot DPG an e mail or call Dirk up.

..i just re read that your at 6" long arm, i dunno if what i bought would work for you or not, but a call to dirk would clear that up for you.

Back