• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Hub / Bearing unit removal from unmounted axel?

box_goblin

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to pull some hubs from an unmounted D30 -- not having any luck with the hammer to the back of the bolt (like mentioned by Go Jeep) - not sure that I can use the bolt and steering method as they're not on a vehicle.

Any other tips or suggestions? I've sprayed liberally with PB Blaster and given a few whacks. I intend to keep resoaking and seeing if they'll break loose, but wanted to see if any others have tricks tips they'd want to share while I let that soak through today.

If you are not reusing the bearings, try lots of heat applied to the knuckle. Then use a hammer.

Hit the bolts harder with a big hammer, at minimum a 2-3 lb. I have never had a unit hub stuck so tight that a few good hammer blows wouldn't pop it out.

I've never had one that didn't come out with a mini sledge and some heat, but I guess you could try mounting a wheel to it for some extra leverage... I've never tried that but if you run out of options you could try it.

I am trying to keep as many pieces as I can intact to serve as spare parts.

Heat plus hammer won the day - even with a 3lb sledge it took quite a bit of whacking to get that sucker to break loose.

Thanks for the suggestions, glad I didn't have to find a tire to use on it.

Soak it with pb blaster, put the large hub nut back on till its flush with the stub shaft, and smack that nut with a 3-lb hand sledge. You want to pound the stub shaft through the bearing. A few smacks should do it. If it's still stuck let it alone a few days and try it again.

Sometimes it's just faster to put the axle shaft back on the housing and do it the right way

Back