• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tint or not to tint, that is the question.

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
I began ripping the old tint off the windows of my xj today. It was that horrible chrome tint that you would only expect to see on cars with spinner hub caps. It had to go. But that left me with the question of do i have the windows tinted again? Not so much for looks because this is my wheeler, but i was thinking for safety, so if i flop it, the window doesnt land shards in your eyes. What do you guys think? I could have left the tint on there but it was just sooo horrible it had to go. Visibility was another concern, i figured i could see better without it.

Glass is safety glass. It won't break into jagged shards.

Also, this really isn't mod tech so much as maybe street and performance...:)

If you do retint the glass, go as lite as you can.Makes it nicer at night to see.Plus it keeps the glass from blowing thru the car on a flop.The last time out i watched a guy hit a rock with his side glass and it was everywhere, yep no tint to hold it in one piece

Glass is safety glass. It won't break into jagged shards.

I understand what safety glass is, but it didn't stop a pretty dangerous mess from happening when my buddy flopped his toyota last weekend. If it was tinted, it would have stayed together for the most part and out of the truck. Like a laminated windshield.

If you do retint the glass, go as lite as you can.Makes it nicer at night to see.Plus it keeps the glass from blowing thru the car on a flop.The last time out i watched a guy hit a rock with his side glass and it was everywhere, yep no tint to hold it in one piece
exactly what i was thinking.

Handheld steamer is your friend when you take tint off...peels right off after you steam it for a minute :)

My heep has 15% on it..I love it..cops hate it.
once i got my fingernail under the edge, it peeled off pretty easily. No steamers around unfortunately.

they make clear tint, that still blocks the UV rays. not only will it keep shattered glass from going everywhere (and needing to be cleaned up!) it will keep the jeep much cooler in the summer ;)

they make clear tint, that still blocks the UV rays. not only will it keep shattered glass from going everywhere (and needing to be cleaned up!) it will keep the jeep much cooler in the summer ;)

Yes! I've got that on the windshield of my Altima. Huge difference.

Llumar is the company that has it..it's expensive, but excellent stuff.

Not really, this question is for people who rock crawl and have the strong possibility if breaking a window. Has nothing to do with street trucks. ;)

good call, i was thinking of just a very light tint, but clear might be best. Although a little privacy wouldnt hurt when i have tools back there.

Not really, this question is for people who rock crawl and have the strong possibility if breaking a window. Has nothing to do with street trucks. ;)
Just sayin, mod tech is generally used more for technical things. Like what's the biggest tire I can fit on x amount of lift, or will my stock axles survive with 40s.

I went with dark tint in the back, if you need to see behind you at night, use the side mirrors. Don't need to flip the rearview to night mode unless there is some loser that can't mange to adjust his HID's behind you in a bro truck

BTW, I do have tinting. I enjoy it. Sometimes I wish I had clear windows, but only when trying to see out the back at night. 95% of the time, I appreciate my tinted windows. Except that they're purple...

good call, i was thinking of just a very light tint, but clear might be best. Although a little privacy wouldnt hurt when i have tools back there.

I would say a light tint on the rear windows and the clear stuff for the 3 front windows then you get safety in case of a rock or tree branch. And privacy for your tools. Plus the cops won't screw with you for having dark tint in the front which is a "legal" no-no! Lol.

Overall its a good idea, safety glass or not if you hit a window just right it will pop and send pieces flying at your face. Not to mention its still dangerous to clean up, I have had numerous cuts and shards stab my fingers when cleaning broken car glass from doors and upholstry.
Just my 2 pennies!

Just sayin, mod tech is generally used more for technical things. Like what's the biggest tire I can fit on x amount of lift, or will my stock axles survive with 40s.

+1

There are only 5 things that you're allowed to post about in mod tech:
  1. What gear ratio should i run?
  2. What size tires should i run?
  3. What axles should i run?
  4. What exhaust system should i run?
  5. What steering should i run?

All other questions are forbidden. Every post with one of these 5 questions MUST hit 4 pages. :anon:

+1

There are only 5 things that you're allowed to post about in mod tech:
  1. What gear ratio should i run?
  2. What size tires should i run?
  3. What axles should i run?
  4. What exhaust system should i run?
  5. What steering should i run?
All other questions are forbidden. Every post with one of these 5 questions MUST hit 4 pages of us telling you to use the search button. :anon:

FIXED

As someone who occasionally gets showered in tempered glass 'diamonds'.... the only danger is LARGE chunks, or smaller chunks that fall a long ways before hitting you. I can safely pick at broken tempered without gloves.... BUT, it can do damage, especially when youre covered in the finer powder/dust..

I wouldnt consider it a safety issue, more like preventative measures to prevent leaving all kinds of diamonds on the trail (tempered glass contains lead).
This thread is RIGHT WHERE IT BELONGS.

Agreed. Adding tint is a modification to a factory component. If Jeep didn't put it on in the factory it is not OEM tech.

I'm for the idea of tint. Safety glass means it breaks into little soft object friendly bits rather than long deadly shards that can kill you so dead you'll die a terrible bloody death! lol The tint will 8/10 times hold most all of the safety glass bits and keep from making much of a mess.

Back