• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 passenger door won't lock??

Spagedd

NAXJA Forum User
Ok let me start off with, I recently purchased a 1998 Cherokee Classic 4.0 ho auto.
I noticed that the passenger door wasn't locking so I took the door panel off and saw that the actual door handle was broken I replaced that checked to see if the door would lock and everything was fine. I put the panel back on and then i go to check it one more time and this time it didn't lock, manually or automatically. I took the door panel back off and it worked; put it back on and it didn't lock again. Did this a few times and same results. I finally decided to take the rod off so that I could at least have a door that locked, bet even then ass soon ad I put the door panel back on it didn't lock.

So now I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem?? :dunno:

The lock and latch rods are probably incorrectly installed or bent and interfering with each other. Whatever broke the handle probably bent one or more of the rods.

Back