• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut lift spacers?

XJRED99

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone cut lift spacers for desired height? I have 2" spacers now and scavenged 3.5" springs. I only want 4.5 or 5" of lift. Anyone do this with success? Or is it better to pick up new 1-1.5" spacers?

J

Try the springs first with your existing spacer and see how it levels out.

I did the sort of the same same thing when I increased my lift. I removed the stock small spacer and just left in the 2" spacers. Too low...I had to reinstall the stocks ones to level things out....

I see no reason you cant, they're just a chunk of plastic. I plan on cutting up a spare set I have for my new upper mounts, same thickness as a stock isolater but with a larger ID to fit over my airbumps.

Awesome. Thanks for replys. Don't want to have to pickup parts if I don't have too.

Thanks Does anyone know if you can use the same shocks from a 3.5" lift kit for a 5" lift?

J

You can space the mounts for the shocks to keep them in there happy place. I scored a brand new set of bilstiens for stock height XJ, and shortly after ended up lifting to 3.5". After looking online for ideas I didn't want to have to get rid of the bilstiens and buy another set of shocks so I just got some round med. Wall tubing and spaced them up about 2.5" been running like that ever since with no issues. Just get longer bolts grade 8 or better. The spacers go on the axle up front and up top on the chassis in the rear. If you look at like the 4wheelparts website I think they sell spacers just like I'm describing but they want like $45 for a pair. I made mine with new bolts, washers and nylock nuts for maybe $40 total.

Oh yeah and I recently tested the flexability of my suspension while visiting my brother up in Elko, NV. And l had it pretty well twisted with all 4 still touching the ground with one front tire up on a roughly two and a half foot concrete block we found out in the hills behind his house and no matter how big of an obstacle (hill of dirt, rocks, etc.) I couldn't get it to three wheel! And d@mmit I was trying! Lol. It just kept flexing and keeping the tires planted in the dirt. I will try and upload a couple of the poser pics we took later today when I get a chance.

No problem. I will grab a pic of my front shocks when I go outside to give you an idea of what I did, I haven't been on the computer to post any pics yet but I will do it a little later.

Haven't gotten pics of the front shock mounts yet but here is a pic of it flexed.

Elko2011022.jpg

Elko2011021.jpg

Back