• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignitions stuck!!

beastlydumass

NAXJA Forum User
well my key just got stuck in the ignition. its not in the on or run of off its the click rite before the lock to pull out. its done it before but u just had to mess with it but now it wont budge! need ideas without a locksmith or new ignition.

This happened on my '93 XJ last year.

The rod actuator linkage on the ignition switch was hanging up.

Pull off the dash fascia.

You'll see the actuator linkage just below the gauge pack, on top of the steering column.

Get a can of silicone spray lube and spray the heck out of it.

Jiggle the linkage and the key lock back & forth and allow time for the lube to trickle
down through the sleeve, to the switch until it loosens and free up.

Any idea what model your Jeep is?

I agree with slayer. Most likely the rod is hung on something.

If it were me I'd take it all apart, figure out if it's the rod, the switch or the tumbler. Fix it and reinstall it all.

95. i seen a small tourqe screw that sticks out towards the driver and it jiggles with the hole assembly. and thats about all i see and i aint got a tourque bit with a hole in top for those so id have to drill one out. if u got a pik or a visual example it wud help me alot. thank you

IMG_1145-1.jpg

You can see it best in this picture.

IMG_1152.jpg

You have to remove the nut and 2 bolts in this picture to remove the switch.

IMG_1217-1.jpg

Back