• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seat height?

shawnhancel

NAXJA Forum User
So, I am buying a new XJ, I looked at a 97 today, I sat in it, and my head is in the roof. I like the jeep, its built well. Has anybody else had this trouble? What seats are lower than these ones? Any help may put me in to a new XJ. Thanks!

I have the same issue with my 96. The seats sit about 2" higher then my 88.

Only thing you can do is buy aftermarket seats or modify the brackets.

I didn't measure it, but I had the same basic experience with 97 and ups.

I think they gave us better seats (more cushion) , and that is the cause of the probelm.

-Ron

Can't you just tilt the seat back some? I'm 6'6" and drive the '01 model without any issue. I can't wear a cowboy hat, but a baseball hat is fine while driving.

I tried tipping the seat back, but maybe its cause I am white I can not drive laid back. I am very limited on my abilities to "modify" cause I have an apartment and they come running when I pop the hood to check the oil. Guess I could swap the seat with my current, will the 95 sit right in the 97? Oh and they have a 98 too, and I fit in it, but its the wife's and she isn't parting with it...

I tried tipping the seat back, but maybe its cause I am white I can not drive laid back. I am very limited on my abilities to "modify" cause I have an apartment and they come running when I pop the hood to check the oil. Guess I could swap the seat with my current, will the 95 sit right in the 97? Oh and they have a 98 too, and I fit in it, but its the wife's and she isn't parting with it...

Maybe, but the seat brackets also changed which is part of the added hieght

I plan on cutting mine down & rewelding them one of these days (when I get the welding bottle refilled)

How tall are you?? Im 6 foot 3 and fit pretty nicely in there. One thing I did change was to re-locate the rear view mirror higher up the windshield. At the stock height it is literally right in the middle of my vision. That mod is much easier than cutting and welding seats....

yea I'm 6 foot 3 also. For the life of me I can not imagine why this one is different, but its interior is the same color as my 95 so I think Ill just swap them, there shouldn't be any issues right?

seats wont interchange between pre 96~ish, and post 96~ish without modification. the brackets are differant at the floor pan... and at the seat. you could allways take the headliner out for an inch or so.

LOL about the white guys not being able to drive way laid back...

I just took a glance at the seat brackets on my 99 and (aside from the horrific rust which I am trying not to think about) it appears to me that they are a good bit higher than they need to be for clearance, and that they would not be very hard to cut down if you had a good hacksaw and a mig welder. I bet if you took an inch or an inch and a half out, it would make a world of difference.

Me, I'm not tall, so all this is theoretical. But my son, who is well over 6 feet, found his 96 all right after an initial period of adjustment. You apparently just have to get used to having your head touch the headliner.

'94 and earlier seats sit flat on the floor with 4 bolts and weldnuts. '95 was the first year for the seat redesign, incorporating a side impact beam on the floor. The 2 front feet of the bracket are ~30degrees from vertical and mount on the front of this beam. One of the the rear feet s sits on a stud, the other rear one is a bolt/weldnut.
So yes, you can take the '95 seats out and install in a '97 XJ.

Ok, I'm trying to scrape up the rest of the money I need to make this deal happen, they're almost begging me to take their jeep, took 800 off and I had nothing to complain about, except this seat. Ill let you guy know what happens with it if i pick it up.

Back