• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange steering noise

91XJRubicXD

NAXJA Forum User
Recently I have been getting this strange noise from my left wheel area. Turning left or right it makes this sound like an old door on a bad hinge. I have greased everything and still getting the same noise. Power steering pump is at the correct level and sound can be heard directly at the center of my driver side wheel. Would the ball joint make this kind of noise ? It does resemble a dry rubber sound against metal if that helps. Any help greatly appreciated here, thanks again

Yes. Check your ball joints.

The only bracket added at the time I did this lift was the track bar bracket. What's the steering box bracket ? I'll add one if need be. I've never replaced ball joints myself before. I have the puller for the joints, just haven't attempted this. Is it easy or pain to do ?

The only bracket added at the time I did this lift was the track bar bracket. What's the steering box bracket ? I'll add one if need be. I've never replaced ball joints myself before. I have the puller for the joints, just haven't attempted this. Is it easy or pain to do ?

My bad. I meant to say check your trackbar drop bracket bolts. Your symptoms sounded exactly like mine.

By the way, is this noise related to your broken RE swaybar bolt that you wrote about?

No, this noise started a couple weeks back. If you have ever heard an old door shut it makes that annoying creaking noise. That's basically the sound I am getting, like I said it seems to be coming from the wheel when turned, drivers side. I'll check the bracket again, but it looked fine when I was looking around for this noise.

Yeah I guess jacking it up would make more sense, didn't think of that honestly. The passenger ujoint was replaced about two months ago. Same with bearing. I wanted to do the driver side but the mechanic is so damn slow, I just left it at that. Plus it's my daily driver and I use it for my business. If I were to attempt the ball joints myself, is it really a PITA or no? It's something I have yet to try myself is all. Also the driver side bearing ?

When it gets cold my XJ makes an old hinge sorta squeak when turning, it is the rubber seal around the steering shaft through the firewall. I have to spray some WD40 down there every winter and manage to forget every year until I hear it. Maybe check the super easiest thing first ; ) .

Lol, okay I'll try it tomorrow. That would be cool if that's all that it is. I'm not getting any input regarding the ball joint removal/installation though. Can someone chime in and let me know. I have a parts store two blocks away so, if it's an easy fix I may consider doing it.

rent the balljoint kit they have, it's pretty easy if you have a 3lb hammer, the balljoint press, and a decent set of hand tools. Buy the new balljoints and see if the box contains the cotter pins and nuts, if it does go ahead and do it else you'll want to hit the hardware store for cotter pins and make sure you are careful to not strip the threads on the nuts removing them.

I bought the ball joint adapters specific for the cherokee and rented the actual press and it worked out really well for me. There's plenty of writeups and tips on this site if you do plan to replace them.

Alright thanks. I tried the wd40 idea on the gasket at the firewall for shits n giggles, that wasn't it, but it was a good idea non the less. Should I pull the axle and do it on jack stands or just leave it under the rig. I also need to replace the two uca bushings anyhow, mine are pretty shot.

Back