• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

On board air...shot in the dark

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I was watching Wheeler Dealers the other day and they bought an old Range Rover. This particular Rover had the adjustable ride height with the airbags. The ride height adjustment wasn't working and in order to fix it, the mechanic worked on the under hood air compressor.

I got to wondering if a compressor build for under the hood to deal with airbag suspension ride height would be sufficient for on board air.

Anyone ever done this modification using a Rover compressor?

Lots of cars had air suspension. http://www.suncoreindustries.com sells rebuilt parts and if you look at the models down the left side of the page you will see some of the vehicle types. My '85 Cadillac has one and I pulled a second out of the junkyard for use in the Jeep since I already have the wiring diagrams and such.

In broad terms they are about the same as most of the other electric pumps. They put out 100+ PSI but only push about 1 CFM (give or take 1 haha). They are pretty good for light-duty use like filling tires, not enough to run big tools.

If your AC does not work, then use your AC compressor and convert to OBA.. I know ther eare write-ups not sure if her eor else where but easy enough. I will be doing it when I have funds and fix my old Beetle to DD again.

My son has a compressor from an air-lift system used for vans that have handi-cap lifts installed.It is heavy-duty and pushes alot more air than mt ARB compressor!

In the past, I have used Caddillac Compressors snagged out of the Junk Yard. The volume of the compressor is similar to low end OBA units sold, but at a fraction of the cost. To speed things up. I used a pair of them.

I will admit though that I have an ARB under the hood now...

Back