• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good jack for changing larger tires?

fsupaintball

NAXJA Forum User
Not much mud in Colorado, probably not a whole lot of need for a Hi-Lift on my Cherokee. But I do have 31" tires and a 3" lift. What worries me is blowing a tire and not being able to mount the spare with the stock jack!

Is there a good compact jack someone can recommend which is easy to stow away, and can lift the jeep high enough to change a tire?

Hi-lifts aren't great for changing tires anyway, especially if you only have stock bumpers like me.

How about this.....

http://airjackusa.com/

thumbnail.aspx

Have you tried using the stock bottle have to verify it won't work?

31s are only give an extra inch or so under the axle from stock. Scrap of wood for a base under the stock jack?

I've used my stock bottle with blocks to change my 35's.....granted, not offroad, but it works.

fsupaintball said:
Hi-lifts aren't great for changing tires anyway, especially if you only have stock bumpers like me.

If lacking lift points for a hi-lift jack, you would use this...then a jackstand or whatever for support

6478_5590_large.jpg

otherwise stock bottle with some scrap wood will work.. i had kept some under the rear seat (done it before for 32" tires)

Just a stock bottle jack will lift high enough to take off a 35" tire. No spacer or anything underneath, although its good to have small pad for a better footing under the jack.

I have 37" tires and the stock jack has always worked for me.
It's good to have a 12"X12" piece of 3/4"(or thicker) plywood for a base.

Yes, the stock bottle jack works, takes a while tho. Those exhaust balloon jacks are nice.

Or you could get one from a full size pickup.I got one from a Dodge Dakota for my (sons) 87 w 3" lift. and from a full size Dodge w/gear reduction for my 96 w/4.5" lift.

I can count 10:1 the number of times I've used a bottle jack to remove a tire on my rig as compared to a hilift. But they do look great strapped to the roof rack at the mall.

This is good to know! I always had a little worry in the back of my mind about what would happen if one of my tires blew out...

Stock jack works fine for me w/31". I have a hi-lift and it sits in my garage. It has come in handy a few times, but when changing a tire I have to use the hilift on a the rocker guard and I need to get it pretty high to lift a tire. And its pretty unstable with the hi-lift. Chocking the tires is good idea, but I found it necessary with a hilift. I used the hilift once to lift the body high enough to pull the transmission out from under. My main hydraulic jack was in use with the transmission and the other hydraulic jack was too small. I got the body jacked up with the hilift, slid the transmission w/hydraulic jack out from under and right after I did that the jeep moved back, the hilift fell out from under and the jeep fell. I didn't chock the tires on the other side. So, they can be dangerous.

I can count 10:1 the number of times I've used a bottle jack to remove a tire on my rig as compared to a hilift. But they do look great strapped to the roof rack at the mall.

And I think I've counted the same ratio for the amount of times I've seen a high lift slip, fall over, or jam and not shift to let the vehicle down when someone has used one to change a tire. I'll x2 the bottle jack idea, in the 7+ years I've owned my jeep I've never said "Man, I wish I had a high lift right now." I just went out and got a craftsman bottle jack I keep under the seat.

Back