• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC1 H4 headlight upgrade issues

jeepindavis

NAXJA Forum User
I have an AC1 H4 headlight harness upgrade kit model #50.9103 installed on a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport with a manual transmission. A friend of mine has two of the same harnesses installed on both of his Jeep Chrokees (1997 and 1998 both automatics). Both of his harnesses work flawlessly. Mine does not. If I turn on my headlights with the high/low beam switch in the low position the lights operate correctly. As soon as I switch to high beam, both elements are lit, which is correct. However, when I switch back to the low beam position, the high beam element in the bulb stays lit and the low beam turns off. If I turn the lights off completely and on again in the low beam position, they resume the low beam operation until the high beams are engaged again.
My friend and I have swapped out the relays in our different harnesses between our Jeeps and my relays work perfectly in his Jeep and his relays result in the same malfunction in mine. We tried re-grounding my system in hopes that there was a bad ground. I replaced my battery. None of these attempts have made any difference.
I am extremely satisfied with the new intensity of my headlamps with this system but I have to resolve this issue. Any ideas???

There is a small (IIRC 18AWG) wire that is used to trigger the factory fog lights that causes the issue your describing. The way the factory fog light circuit is designed there is about 5v on that lead which is not enough to pull the harness relay in, but enough to hold it if it is already pulled in. The way to fix it is to move that trigger wire to the heavy current side of the harness, or disconnect the system all together. The way the factory designed the fog light system is as crappy as the head lights. You would be in your best interest to do a harness style upgrade on them as well. I'm going to be installing a harness upgrade to the 99 I just bought within the next week or two. It having factory fog lights I'm planning on doing some investigating to see what the best option is going to be regarding the fog light circuit (as far as upgrading the harness).

ScoobyXJ: Please be sure to report your mod. results. Really appreciate your helpful poi.

As soon as the supplies come in for the project I will be starting on it. I'm actually going to dissect the factory harness (the section that can be unplugged), and add all the upgraded wiring to it, and removing the unused wire.

Back