• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what radiator to buy?

sbxj

NAXJA Forum User
My '01 auto needs a radiator.
Can you guy's recommend an affordable but solid radiator to buy online?
My Jeep doesn't see any extreme duty.
Thanks

Rock auto has them for around 90 shipped. Aluminum single row with plastic side tanks. Mine has held up fine.
KH

Last edited:
I got 7 years out of my CSF 3 row radiator but it started leaking where the tanks are pressed onto the core. I have the Champion 2 row all aluminum fully welded radiator which I think would be great on a stock XJ and it cools fairly well but in the high southern summer heat it still over heats just a little bit at low speeds or idle but my XJ is on 33s with stock gears and working very hard so that plays a part in it. I would say spend the extra couple of bucks to get the 3 row. The Champion 3 row is still cheaper or the same price as the CSF depending on where you get it from but the Champion will last you longer since it is aluminum and fully welded. If you decide to go for the Champion and they say they are out of their 3 row then ask for the American Eagle since they are the exact same just a different name. Not sure why they do that but just a little tip for ya. Good luck!

I got 7 years out of my CSF 3 row radiator but it started leaking where the tanks are pressed onto the core. I have the Champion 2 row all aluminum fully welded radiator which I think would be great on a stock XJ and it cools fairly well but in the high southern summer heat it still over heats just a little bit at low speeds or idle but my XJ is on 33s with stock gears and working very hard so that plays a part in it. I would say spend the extra couple of bucks to get the 3 row. The Champion 3 row is still cheaper or the same price as the CSF depending on where you get it from but the Champion will last you longer since it is aluminum and fully welded. If you decide to go for the Champion and they say they are out of their 3 row then ask for the American Eagle since they are the exact same just a different name. Not sure why they do that but just a little tip for ya. Good luck!

Where is the best place to get a 2 or 3 Row Champion all aluminum radiator? I've seen a couple places, but had zero experience other than buying thru radiatorbarn.com and they only carry the CSF. Not a terrible option, but I'd prefer the all-aluminum myself.

Where is the best place to get a 2 or 3 Row Champion all aluminum radiator? I've seen a couple places, but had zero experience other than buying thru radiatorbarn.com and they only carry the CSF. Not a terrible option, but I'd prefer the all-aluminum myself.

Championradiators.com or try searching eBay might be able to find one for a good deal there. Just make sure you order the right one for your year sometimes eBay can skip the details sometimes and the difference between and open loop and closed loop radiator is huge.

I'm in the same predicament myself due to using a POS ready rad from a local dealer in october (it's now leaking from the bottom passenger side where the side is pressed on). I've since read that leaks show up when the temperatures get cold out. I'm still going to exchange it for a new one, but I think I'll keep it as an emergency spare, I really don't want to waste the time and effort to put another one in that will have the same results.

I'd like to get the 2670 2 row, all aluminum CSF from radiatorbarn.com. Could someone verify that this is a decent radiator? I've read mixed reviews across several different jeep forums...a couple guys said they actual ran hotter with this radiator vs the stock then some said cooler. Can someone with first hand experience post? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
www.alumrad.com. family owned business, jeeper focussed, and the rads work great. solved a bad overheating debacle on my 96 a long time ago.

Radiatorbarn.com

Thanks, that's where I saw the csf 2 row that I mentioned a couple posts back. Seems like every good review I find for the 2670, I find a bad. Very frustrating....I wouldn't mind spending the cash, but there just doesn't seem to be any consistency in the info I'm finding.

Thanks, that's where I saw the csf 2 row that I mentioned a couple posts back. Seems like every good review I find for the 2670, I find a bad. Very frustrating....I wouldn't mind spending the cash, but there just doesn't seem to be any consistency in the info I'm finding.

FWIW I'm running the CSF 2 row and its been great! granted I've only been running it for 6 months so far, it doesnt even come close to over heating. no leaks so far. hoping it lasts me a while!

FWIW I'm running the CSF 2 row and its been great! granted I've only been running it for 6 months so far, it doesnt even come close to over heating. no leaks so far. hoping it lasts me a while!

Thanks for the post! Beats my 2 months with the POS "ready rad".... Sure wish I woulda had time to research when it happened. Problem was, it happened on a day I had off, at around 430pm...had to get whatever the local place had (seems like they ALL carry the ready rad brand!). Anyway, didn't finish til about 8. Yeah, in a driveway in the dark and first time I ever changed the radiator on the jeep. This time should be much smoother/somewhat quicker. Just hate having to drain and re-do all the work again. I'm still gonna take the junk one to the store and get the replacement. I'll just hold onto it for a LAST resort emergency. it's a shame I can't get the money back though. I just can't see putting in the same thing again (even though i wouldn't have to invest anymore money for the part), knowing full well the results you get when you search for "ready rad leaks" on the net.

I don't see any listings at all for cherokees. Looks like they have some listed for other makes though. Any idea of price?

Call them, they are nice folks. The customer comment posted on their website is about a cherokee radiator. They are aluminum. The one I bought 7 years ago from them was about $170, but I'm sure they've increase since then. I'd be surprised if they stopped making them for cherokees.

I blew the radiator in my 00' when I got stuck in some mud, so I bought a standard one from 4 Wheel Parts. It was $95 and has a lifetime / million mile warranty that they assured me would be honored under any circumstances. It bolted right in and cools just fine, I couldn't be happier. :thumbup:

CSF's are the the best I have run across in either a 2 or 3 row. Plus if they ever do have a problem, they can be repairs by just about any radiator shop due to thier solid brass and copper contrsuction. Not like some of the inexpesive ones mentioned here that will go out in a couple of years.

I'd be surprised if they stopped making them for cherokees.

They did, actually. They listed Cherokee radiators for a while but weren't selling them the last time I called. Since I no longer see it on their site, I doubt they carry them.

I'd like to get the 2670 2 row, all aluminum CSF from radiatorbarn.com. Could someone verify that this is a decent radiator? I've read mixed reviews across several different jeep forums...a couple guys said they actual ran hotter with this radiator vs the stock then some said cooler. Can someone with first hand experience post? Thanks a lot!

I'm about to replace my CSF 2670 from radiatorbarn for the 2nd time in 4 yrs. First one replaced the 8-yr old OE one in 12/07, started leaking in 12/09. The replacement they sent was damaged at the filler. Got that taken care of and now that rad is leaking exactly 2 yrs later again. It's leaking between the pass. side tank and the core. Yes, they replace them, but it's still a hassle and expense to have to replace it. Not too many other options it seems....

Back