• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New NSS, Still no start...

xjsnake

NAXJA Forum User
97, 4.0, AW4, NP231, All stock 137,000 miles

I've read 30+ threads on NSS repair and I'm stumped...

Ok so I was having problems with the XJ starting from time to time (would start by wiggling the shifter) and no back up lights so I figured it was time to clean the neutral safety switch (NSS).

Armed with multiple writeups and a confident attitude I proceeded to start the process of removing the NSS and promptly broke the housing getting it off. Undeterred I planned epoxying the broken part of the housing. Trying to undo the screws I stripped two of them off so out came the dremel to cut the screws off so I could split the NSS casing in half. Alternating cutting and spraying the work area with WD-40 (to dissipate the heat into the lubricant) I was able to open the casing and clean the internals. I drilled out the bad screws and replaced everything with bolts. I then put the switch back on the Jeep. Finally I had back up lights, but the Jeep wouldn't start in either park or neutral...

Assuming that either breaking the casing or heating up the internals by cutting off the screws had damaged the switch I decided to order a new one.

New unit arrived in the mail and I set about installing it into the Jeep. Install was a cinch and I had reverse lights once again. But I still can't start the Jeep... :bawl:

I've had a helper sitting in the seat trying to start it as I rotate the unit to find the correct adjustment to no effect. The Jeep won't start anywhere in the adjustment range. Also, when in reverse the back up lights stay on the entire way through the adjustment range. Just like when I was having problems with the NSS acting up before, the dash lights and radio go dead when turned to the start position.

I have checked the following:
NSS (obviously)
Starter Relay (Swapped with known functional relay)
Starter Fuse (30amp in PDC)
Battery Cable Connections

My questions are these:

Is there more adjustment than just the few degrees that I can get with the top bolt in place on the NSS?

I remember seeing a diagram about the plug pins to check with a multimeter but the only one I can find at the moment is for the pre 97 xj's. Does anyone have the newer pin diagram?

What ideas do any of you have to solve this?

PS: No I don't have an FSM so I'm working entirely off of forums and internet writeups on this one...

Last edited:
Well from the 3 jeeps I've messed with with worn out nss's, I've never seen any of the dash lights or radio go dead. Not that im saying it can't happen, but that sounds to me like the battery.. is your battery good?

That's weird about the reverse lights... the other problem sounds like ignition switch failure and I guess the same thing could cause the reverse lights to go flakey. Might lookup one of the write-up about jumping the harness to bypass the NSS completely, and remove it from the equation

Well from the 3 jeeps I've messed with with worn out nss's, I've never seen any of the dash lights or radio go dead. Not that im saying it can't happen, but that sounds to me like the battery.. is your battery good?

Battery is less than 1 year old and tests good. The starter is also less than 1 year old...

nssnewqw7.jpg

Jump the B-C terminals. That will bypass the NSS. There's no guarantee your new NSS is not messed up.

I would check your crankshaft position sensor it is the main cause of no start issues, that is after you jump the connector on your NSS.

Last edited:
I jumped B-C on the harness side of the connector with the connector unplugged and the Jeep still wouldn't start. The engine/starter won't turn over, it's as if the entire system is dead but when I short across the starter terminals with a screwdriver the engine fires right up in an instant which is why I've ruled out CPS issues but I could be mistaken.

Thoughts?

You need to follow the wiring backwards from the starter and see where the ignition voltage is dying.

The small center stud on the starter solenoid gets 12v from the ignition circuit. You should see voltage there when somebody turns the key. If you see voltage there then the problem is in the starter solenoid. If you don't see voltage, work your way backwards and check the ignition relay, the key cylinder, etc

You need to follow the wiring backwards from the starter and see where the ignition voltage is dying.

The small center stud on the starter solenoid gets 12v from the ignition circuit. You should see voltage there when somebody turns the key. If you see voltage there then the problem is in the starter solenoid. If you don't see voltage, work your way backwards and check the ignition relay, the key cylinder, etc

Makes sense to me. Will try this tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the help so far everyone...

Got it figured out. Come to find out my XJ has a remote start that had an ignition lock on it. My nephew was playing with my spare set of keys which had a remote (that the PO told me wasn't for the Jeep) and it locked the ignition out. Hit the unlock button on a whim and heard the jeep respond and flash the lights and sure enough the engine took right off when I tried to start it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Back