• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jk axles into my cherokee!!! need advice!!!

XFACTOR

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys!! im a total newb new to wheelin, and new to the forum.. not the way i wanted to start my first post but time is running short!!

a local guy rolled his 2010 jk and is parting it out... i was thinking of using the d35 and d44 under my truck???

and is there anything else i might wanna grab off of his truck???

any help would be awesome!! all ideas and coments welcome!!

im a proud owner of a 2001 xj

thanks

d35/44combo....thats a first...and your aware how much work it will take to make jk axles fit under your xj right?

If you're new to wheeling, what's wrong with you stock axles? Do you know which ones you have?

D30/44, no d35. They are stronger axles for sure but would require a significant amount of work. Removal of JK brackets, welding on all new XJ brackets, new wheels, etc. Is your jeep stock now? What are your future wheeling plans?

my truck has a 30LP and a 35 with abs.. and im not really to concerned about relocation of brackets cause i have a welder and tools to do it :)

alright info!!! keep it coming!! i wanna know the good the bad and the ugly!!

going on sat to pick what i want off the jeep :arrowl: i think its still complete!!

does anyone know if the front d44 off of a rubicon is the same width as the jk d30??

oh ya... what else should i be grabbing besides the axles???

Last edited:
D30/44, no d35. They are stronger axles for sure but would require a significant amount of work. Removal of JK brackets, welding on all new XJ brackets, new wheels, etc. Is your jeep stock now? What are your future wheeling plans?

yes!! its bone stock!! options are enless!! but the plan is to build a truck that i can do a few hundred miles on the highway before i wheel!! 33" or 35" tires 6" lift... im kinda rough with my stuff so i wanna build the right setup!!

If you have the tools/skill to do the swap and your friend isnt asking too much then Id say go for it. Either way you will be swapping rear axles if you're hard on your stuff and plan on running 33s or 35s. Some will say just throw in a 29 spline 8.25 because it's a direct swap but if you can do the welding yourself then why not? Someone will correct me if Im wrong but arent the JK d30s high pinion? All come with the high steer arm as well I believe.

A little more info here, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665627

Yes the JK30 is same width as JK44 as far as I know. Yes all JK front axles are high pinion.

The rear Dana 44 is a substantial upgrade than what you have now (would be even better if it was from a JK Rubicon...) however given the work and expense involved in swapping these over, I am not sure if it would be a worthwhile endeavor unless the front was a 44 also.

You will need new driveshafts and/or replace the yokes on the axles.

The front axles have weak tubes and inner C's. Several companies offer sleeves for the tubes and gussetts for the C's. Of course you will need new suspension mounts or buy T&T's truss with the mounts included. The front axle does NOT have a high-steer knuckle. You could buy Reid Racing knuckles that raise the steering up 1.5" but its an added expense...

You would need to switch to wheels with a 5 on 5" bolt pattern.

Aftermarket locker options are slim for either of these axles if you plan on upgrading in the future. Most JK guys look to swap out their 30's for a Rubicon 44 mostly for the factory locker and to retain their ABS (might not apply to you), however the factory Rubi 44 has the same strength issues I outlined above.

The rear 44 is actually not a bad axle and can be upgraded to be a very strong axle with an ARB and 35-spline shafts.

So basically I wouldn't recommend these axles unless you are committed to running 5 on 5" wheels and are okay with the other issues and costs.

Last edited:
If you have the tools/skill to do the swap and your friend isnt asking too much then Id say go for it. Either way you will be swapping rear axles if you're hard on your stuff and plan on running 33s or 35s. Some will say just throw in a 29 spline 8.25 because it's a direct swap but if you can do the welding yourself then why not? Someone will correct me if Im wrong but arent the JK d30s high pinion? All come with the high steer arm as well I believe.

A little more info here, http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665627

hes asking 600 for the pair... it may not be a stronger option but i get the brakes and high pinion..

Grab the t-case and drive shafts too. If anything, sell the rear and get an axle already setup for leafs. Maybe get the wheels/tires too.

I'd say stay away unless it's a Rubi, which it isn't. Squirrel80 swapped JK Rubi axles and says for the added expense and cost and work of making it all work, he probably wouldn't do it again except for the deal he got on them. He's not a lazy guy or lacking in skill either; he's currently working with RobertK on a KOH rig.

unless they are rubi axles you are going through a lot of effort for little gain.
Take that money and effort and dump them into alloys for your 30 and an 8.8 swap.
You will be further ahead for less money.

The price seems reasonable, but I'll agree with others in saying that it's not worth it. Do you know what the gearing is? A lot of times, the gearing is fairly high anyway. Different wheels & tires are needed, etc., etc.

If you want an axle upgrade, find a TJ/LJ Dana 44 (and rework the bracketry) or just an XJ D44.

The front axle upgrade dilemma will have you opening Pandora's Box...options are plentiful, but pricey (and often lead to a domino effect with other upgrades).

Craig

t-case isn't anything special on the non-Rubi JKs... no 4 to 1, and funky yokes.
I figured that the yokes and everything would match, but not sure.

The price seems reasonable, but I'll agree with others in saying that it's not worth it. Do you know what the gearing is? A lot of times, the gearing is fairly high anyway. Different wheels & tires are needed, etc., etc.

If you want an axle upgrade, find a TJ/LJ Dana 44 (and rework the bracketry) or just an XJ D44.

The front axle upgrade dilemma will have you opening Pandora's Box...options are plentiful, but pricey (and often lead to a domino effect with other upgrades).

Craig

My 11-year-old daughter stayed logged in on my PC, and I posted the above accidentally under her login. But she would probably vote for not getting the JK axles, too. :spin1:

Craig

Back