• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New (to me) 01 XJ

loki36

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. Recently picked up my third XJ. 2001 sport, patriot blue, Dana 35 rear. 53K original miles. This one spent it's life up to now in Michigan so needless to say it needs some tlc. Shes going to mechanic next week for rear leafs, shackles, steering linkage, track bar, u joints all around, wheel bearings and hubs.

Today I've been trying to diagnose the wookie howl in my steering. Only does it on a low speed left turn and at a specific spot in the rotation. I took another members advice and hit the firewall grommet with white lithium grease. No real improvement and after crawling around it sounds like its coming more from the steering shaft somewhere maybe even at the steering wheel but I'm not sure. Is it safe to hit in between the steering wheel/column with the white lithium grease? Thanks and another tips I should get after on this newest XJ are appreciated as it is my daily driver.

Hello all. Recently picked up my third XJ. 2001 sport, patriot blue, Dana 35 rear. 53K original miles. This one spent it's life up to now in Michigan so needless to say it needs some tlc. Shes going to mechanic next week for rear leafs, shackles, steering linkage, track bar, u joints all around, wheel bearings and hubs.

Today I've been trying to diagnose the wookie howl in my steering. Only does it on a low speed left turn and at a specific spot in the rotation. I took another members advice and hit the firewall grommet with white lithium grease. No real improvement and after crawling around it sounds like its coming more from the steering shaft somewhere maybe even at the steering wheel but I'm not sure. Is it safe to hit in between the steering wheel/column with the white lithium grease? Thanks and another tips I should get after on this newest XJ are appreciated as it is my daily driver.

Is the power steering fluid reservoir full?

Yeah fluid is fine. Really sounds like it comes from somewhere along the steering shaft, not so much the front end area.

LOL, mine does the same exact thing, a buddy has owned 3 grand cherokees, they've all done it. Definately would love to know how to cure it without grease bombing under the dash. it's only left turns on cold days for me, haven't heard it all summer, then just the other day, squerrrrk.

I've had a squeak from the grommet, but not the wookie sort. Can you replicate it in park? If so you may want some one to turn the wheel while you look for the source of the sound.

Back