• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need tips and advice

Doc Holliday

NAXJA Forum User
I have been reading online and in my Haynes manual. It sounds like my rear diff is bad. When I turn or am under hard acceleration it starts to make a clunking sound until I let off the gas or finish my turn. Any idea what the problem might be? Is it repairable or will I need to replace the whole diff? Looking for a quick and cheap fix. Also, is it possible/safe to depressurize my A/C system myself?
Appreciate the help, currently on deployment and need this fixed as soon as I get back so I have a vehicle to get to work and hopefully go on leave.

Inspect the diff gears. Look for unusual wear or damage to the ring/pinion/spider gears. Determine if you have a Trac Lok Limited Slip, you may just need some Friction Modifier.

The A/C refrigerant should be removed and re-cycled at a shop.

Before you do anything, check to see if the exhaust pipe is knocking against the frame on tight corners. Then go buy the $2 gasket and couple quarts of 75w90 gear oil and change the diff fluid, while your in there look for broken teeth or lots of metal in the fluid.

As far as the A/C, it is possible and easy, but illegal to vent into the atmosphere, while i wouldn't recommend or condone such an act I remain highly skeptical of environmental regulations.

If its a Dana 35, its bad, replace it lol.
On a serious note, I second the lack of friction modifier in a limited slip diff diagnosis.

I'll check that again when I get back from deployment. I kind of doubt it, I bought it from a chief in the navy, said he did most of his own maintenance, and that was one of the things he told me, make sure I use that. Unfortunately I didnt have problems with it until it was to late to get ahold of him. The owner said it had the towing package, but I am not sure if the tow bar was an aftermarket one or not. Pretty sure that I have the 8.25, if not, I will buy a D44 from somewhere with an ARB or ECTED installed. Thanks for the help guys.

Back