• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATF-RTV for diff covers?

01din

NAXJA Forum User
I have Mopar ATF-RTV (#05010884AA) - even though it's "formulated" for transmission fluid, is it fine to use to seal my diff covers when I do them this weekend? I figure that (Lucas) gear oil runs cooler than ATF, so it seems like it should be safe...

Thanks

David

The issue with ATF isn't so much the higher operating temperature - it's the high detergent content (that, and the fact that it's so much thinner than gear oil.)

It should be fine. I tend to use a paper gasket only when I do my axles tho - makes it easier to clean the surfaces before I put it all back together, I think (yes, you get gasket stuck to the sealing surfaces. But, it comes right off.)

You may also find it useful to put a stud in the topmost hole, retained with LocTite #242 or #272. This lets you "hang" the cover when you're putting it together - and just loosening that top not before you take all of the other screws out allows you to drain the housing without dropping the )@#($*@) cover into the )(*@#$% drain pain and getting that @#)$(*@)%&* nasty-smelling gear oil all over yourself...

I've been meaning to start using gaskets instead of RTV to speed up clean up time. I have been using an RTV remover I saw at napa though that's been great. Spray it on and wait a few minutes it turns to a sort of slime and just whips off with a paper towel.

The time RTV have worked well for me are the times when I've been patient - and clean!

Thanks to you both for the advice, I've changed axle fluids on other XJs and know the smell too well....and not looking fwd to it this time.

What type of RTV do people normally use on diff covers, if not using gaskets? Does Mopar produce a "gear cover" RTV?!?

The Right Stuff.

Check the can that "The Right Stuff" comes in,, I think the label lists the OE certifications and that Mopar uses that formula on new vehicles. I used the same can to service both my Dakota and XJ with synthetic blend and no leaks whatsoever.

Back