• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving Front axle forward

Gecko321

NAXJA Forum User
how far forward can i move the front axle before steering and coil springs become an issue? gonna make a new track bar mount so that issue will be resolved. Gonna run crossover steering with hiems. center link will be under the knuckle with the drag link on top.

thanks in advance

If you run a tie rod knuckle to knuckle, the position of the axle won't have any affect on it hitting anything. I run the stock style currie steering and my axle is pushed forward about 2 inches. Tie rod definitely hits the driver's side coil bucket now and limits my steering a tad.

I'm interested in this as well. I've heard about 2 inches before you start running into problems. I suppose trimming the driver's side coil bucket would fix that? Or at least switching to an OTK style?

I have mine pushed 2 inches, I had to move the track bar bracket on the frame forward one hole and re drill the front hole. I also welded it to the frame.
Steering box I did not move forward.

what about the coils? will that 2 inch move forward affect them in any way? also have u guys noticed any issues with the stock front drive shaft by adding those 2 extra inches?

Depending on how much lift you have it will actually help straiten the coils. From the factory the coils slant toward the front on the bottom. So if you lift your rig and leave the axle in the stock location then your coils will bow backwards slightly. Move the axle forward an inch or 2 and the coil will sit at the same angle as stock without any bowing.

I was just looking down my engine bay and on my ~4" lift the front axle is back a little bit--the trackbar and drag link go backwards not straight down. I bet I could move the front axle forward a couple of inches and improve the setup

My coils have a slight lean on the top towards the back but it rides amazing, I did get new HD drive shafts made and my front and rear are now the same length (I only carry one spare now :) ).
I did custom long arms on mine.

Here is a photo of when I was building my arms, you can see a slight bow I think this was before we set the pinion angle.

Eventually I want to take the coil buckets off and weld new ones on with the pinion angle set, this will help straiten the coils.

5195801000_e037eaa199_z.jpg

Full up travel, room for 35's
5195801706_055f807116_z.jpg

Last edited:
I've moved mine forward 2 to 2 1/2" and other than the steering hitting the track bar bout found no real issues yet.

My steering will how ever be getting rebuilt this winter..

thanks for all the info guys.. gotta work on acquiring a welder again and than i can get back on the project.... so much to do and keep think of more every day..

Back