• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

converting vac disco to one piece shaft

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
i am building a HP dana 30 for my heep that has the vacuum disconnect i originally only bought it for the gears but decided i would rather keep the housing aswell because it has the solid control arm mount on the passenger side instead of the stamped out sheet metal one.

i know i need to make a block of plate but was unsure if i needed new inner/outer axle tube seals?

i am putting new balljoints on it and a lockright in so i wanted to replace anything else while i was in there.

another thing are the bolt on LCA mount skids worth buying or should i just buy beefier mounts to weld on? i have had bad luck with bending and tearing up my LCA mounts :doh:

Have you considered just locking it in manually using the existing disco parts? It's real easy, like a 20 minute job.

well it has the smaller u joints and i believe my LP has the bigger u joints so i wanted to use thoughs shafts

edit: also i want to keep it simple, less parts on the axle less things that could go wrong. im just going to build a block off plate out of some thick plate.
in my mind a one piece axle shaft is going to be more reliable than a two piece with a locking collar. just want to do it the right way so i dont have to worry about it

Need the inner axle seal for one-piece shaft. And a one-piece shaft of course. NEw outer seals would be good since you are refreshing the axle too.
You can use the stock "vac-cover" or whatever its called, if you don't want to make a plate.

You will need to pull the carrier to put in a passenger side axle seal. But the tube was never machined for one so a stock inner seal won't work. You have to use an aftermarket oil seal. I long forgot the part number but if you search on here you should be able to find it. You might have to remove the seal/bushing at the disco, I had to remove them on mine to fit an aftermarket chromo shaft but not sure about stocker. You can just use the old disco cover, remove the shift fork and put it back on.

for the seal number that worked for me do a search of my user name and the thread will come up...I listed it in there when I did my 89' axle

Back