• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box spacer

bert01xj

NAXJA Forum User
Mine has broke and I need a way to fix it for a short time till I get the new one sent out. What can I use that can handle a little abuse. 33" 12.5 r15 tires and durango steering box. Also I had it plated with 1/4" after nac fest. I also tried the steelership for a stock one as a temp but they wanted over 200$ for it

Last edited:
how long is a short time? If you were being gentle with it, grade 8 bolts and stacked washers would be fine. all it does is space it off the rail.

I actually thought about the steering spacer recently and began to think, it's just a spacer. You could break it into three pieces and it would function the way it was intended, spacing the box away from the unibody. The 3 spacers are linked together to just make installing it easier.

It was designed weak because it was never a stress piece. I do have a beefed up spacer but if the bolts are ever relying on that spacer then I have serious unibody damage.

Use fender washers to spread the force over a greater area.

Ive made a couple quick and easy ones by just using a piece of 3/16 or 1/4 plate and three ~5/8" nuts. The nuts are thick enough to space the box out far enough and big enough that the 7/16 box bolts pass thru them no problem.

Bert, if you want, I got an extra stock spacer or could make a nice HD one and mail it to you ;)

I actually thought about the steering spacer recently and began to think, it's just a spacer. You could break it into three pieces and it would function the way it was intended, spacing the box away from the unibody. The 3 spacers are linked together to just make installing it easier.

It was designed weak because it was never a stress piece. I do have a beefed up spacer but if the bolts are ever relying on that spacer then I have serious unibody damage.

I did have unibody damage I cracked it in three places (I love nacfest) and had it plated. How do you expect 12 year old parts to hold up. And making a hour ride to get it plated had to beat on it pretty bad with all the movement of the box. It also wasn't ment to be supporting a durango box or to fight 33" tires.

Last edited:
Back