• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Treadwright P, C, D, or E load rating of tires and sizing for stock XJ

AdamG8GXP

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I just bought a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L, manual, 4x4. It has 255k miles.
The tires are bold and I want to use XJ mainly to for winter, when my G8 will have trouble, move bigger stuff and to try some easy trails. It has 16" wheels. From what I found out a 30" tire should fit. And that is what I want to have somewhat aggresive looking tires that have good road manners.
I decided to get tires from Treadwright. They have different load ratings. P, C, D, and E are supposed to have a stiffer sidewall. And I have choices of different sizes I can go with with different load ratings.

How much stiffer are C, D, E tires than regular tires that came with the XJ (I don't remember what the current tires are but they have normal thread pattern and are worn to the wear bars)? Right now with tires at 32 PSI ride is OK (not too harsh), but I would like not to make the ride worse.

Whatever you do, do NOT get E, they are very stiff. P is a passenger tire, C so that or C would be best.

I am going to assume you are running stock suspension?

215/85/16 should be between 30"-30.5" tall / 8.5" wide

225/75/16 29-29.5" tall / 8.75-9" wide

235/70/16 29-29.5" tall / 9-9.5" wide

I have the Tread Wright Guard Dog 285/75/16 E load range and I love them... you should get P or C

Yes. Stock suspension. I will get the funds approved from the approval committee to get a 3" lift by explaining that it needs to have suspension replaced and that it sagged before :dunno: . But not just yet. I just bought the car and I am not confident that nothing major will break so it is a daily driver for now and G8 stays parked and XJ gets 20 MPG!

Thank you Eric

Tires that do not have a E load rating are in 255/70R16 size, 30.3" according to Treadwright and 30.05" according to a tire calculator. C rated Puma.

How are Puma tires for road, snow and light off roading?

They are wider than stock 225 wide tires. Will these rub much?

That is 28.87 in.

How does it look like with those tires (if you have a pic)?

Treadwright ATG 235/75-15 P-Rated
Cragar D-Window 15x7 4" BS
'99 with all stock suspension, flat rear springs

2011-10-30164222.jpg

Only rubs with a ton of crap in the back and hitting bumps.

Digging this one up to answer the question, so if someone does use the search they have something to go with.

Off topic but clean looking XJ ya got there. Just got my 235/75/15 ATG's in from Treadwright yesterday after buying them late Sept. and had them mounted on Black Rock's lobo 950's and gotta say...WELL worth the wait:cool:

215 85R16 will fit on a stock XJ on FWD offset rims - Liberty steelies. I couldn't get them to work on a set of Crown Vic wheels because of the offset.

The Load Range E tires are a BIT heavy duty for the XJ. I had mine inflated to 60psi. My jeep would leave the ground when I hit a bump. Running at 25-30PSI it's pretty decent ride.

The Crawler MT/E in 21585R16 EFFING ROCK offroad. I've aired them down to 8psi and haven't lost a bead or tread.

Plus the pizza cutter look looks pretty darn good

270645_559956557433_202202220_31294337_7933960_n.jpg

Tires that do not have a E load rating are in 255/70R16 size, 30.3" according to Treadwright and 30.05" according to a tire calculator. C rated Puma.

How are Puma tires for road, snow and light off roading?

They are wider than stock 225 wide tires. Will these rub much?

My dad has the pumas on his '95 XJ (my DD)... They stick to the road very well...but not as aggressive as I would like for regular wheeling(tread looks cose to the BFG A/T tread). But for the hunting and fishing we do they are more than enough. As far as snow...I live in southern Arizona....so no idea:cool:

Back