• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Greaseable or Non-Greaseable sway bar bushings?

Paintballpsyco2369

NAXJA Forum User
I have a few parts off of a 94 ZJ I am putting into my mainly 88 XJ; one of them being the sway bar. Not much of a strength difference I know, but it was said to be a bit beefier than the stock XJ one plus I had it so figured why not. I got it all cleaned up tonight and got a couple coats of some nice flat black primer on it and let it dry. When I removed my old one, I snapped 2 bolts (will hopefully have them out tomorrow) and noticed that the bushings on the ZJ bar aren't in the greatest shape. I would like to replace them before I put the bar back on and started looking into bushings tonight. Then just as I was about to order a set of Daystar bushings, I found some by Energy suspension that were greaseable. So now I am a bit confused as to what I should go with here, should I get greaseable ones, or non-greaseable ones? Also, are there any differences between the Daystar and Energy Suspension bushings or not really anything different? Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Paint

Maybe your overthinking this a little!!!! Its a swaybar,alot here don't even run one.My front is still on but its usually not connnected. I only make sure its hooked on long road trpis or when I take my pop-up with me!

Just go to napa and get a stock one, Mine isn't greasable and never had a problem. My OEM one also wasn't greasable and it lasted over 100k miles with no noises... Keep it simple

Just go to napa and get a stock one, Mine isn't greasable and never had a problem. My OEM one also wasn't greasable and it lasted over 100k miles with no noises... Keep it simple

I had a stock one from NAPA for about two years. It had too much give in it and allowed the bar to tap on the bracket surrounding it. It was the right size. I had to make a sleeve for the outside of it so it would fit tighter in the bracket.

I just put this on last week and it's great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CNB4U0

Sway bar's nice and tight except for the damn RC disconnects that clunk. More RC parts that are coming off.....

To the OP, just make sure you get the right size bushing. There are a few sizes....

Maybe your overthinking this a little!!!! Its a swaybar,alot here don't even run one.My front is still on but its usually not connnected. I only make sure its hooked on long road trpis or when I take my pop-up with me!
Either one will be fine. I don't see any over thinking though.

I am quite sure I am overthinking this lol. I have a tendency to do that A LOT. I am going to run one for sure, but just because I am going to have it on the road. I do have disconnects for it though. I just want to make sure I get all the right, and best parts I can right now for it so it will last as long as possible.

I am not too big a fan of a lot of stock replacement parts like that, I have had too many go bad on my vehicles and friends vehicles. Basically I am at the point of if it has to be replaced, step up the part to a better one. I'm sick of stuff breaking on me when I need it to work. With the Poly bushings, I can do it once, and not have to worry about it for a VERY long time. After reading about all the noise people have with the Pol though, I am liking the sound of the greaseable ones. Looks like I will add another brand name to the
repertoire of products on the rig lol.

I had a stock one from NAPA for about two years. It had too much give in it and allowed the bar to tap on the bracket surrounding it. It was the right size. I had to make a sleeve for the outside of it so it would fit tighter in the bracket.

I just put this on last week and it's great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CNB4U0

Sway bar's nice and tight except for the damn RC disconnects that clunk. More RC parts that are coming off.....

To the OP, just make sure you get the right size bushing. There are a few sizes....

The stock one that was on the ZJ bar I put in was bad. One side of the bushing looks like it rubbed off a bit inside, and the other side was the same way though not quite as bad. Your link ironically are the same one I was looking at. I measured my bar a couple days ago to find the right one and mine is 26mm or 1.02 inches. Now I have seen both those sizes in other brands, but I am wondering, do you think using 1" bushings would affect anything? It is only 2 thousandths off and accounting for a little wear on the bar, could the 1" be fine to use or should I look for the 1.02 bushings?

Thanks again for the info all, appreciate the help.

Paint

Last edited:
Do they even carry 26mm bushings? I don't see it on their website. It goes from 25 to 27 but I did see some 26 mm bushings on amazon for toyotas. Make sure there's no rust buildup on the bar cuz that'll make it thicker than it really is.

i thought the same thing, but when i went to my local parts store, Moog has them in a 26mm for my 2000. Why it's not on the website, ??

Do they even carry 26mm bushings? I don't see it on their website. It goes from 25 to 27 but I did see some 26 mm bushings on amazon for toyotas. Make sure there's no rust buildup on the bar cuz that'll make it thicker than it really is.
i thought the same thing, but when i went to my local parts store, Moog has them in a 26mm for my 2000. Why it's not on the website, ??

It might show up as 1.02 inches too. There isn't any rust on there at all. I wire brushed the whole thing and then gave it a couple light coats of some flat black paint. I am thinking I may just use the 1" bushings. It is a touch smaller I know, but the bar had a small amount of wear on the bushing spots so that difference should be negligible. Now that I think about it though, I did add a bit of paint and there will be grease too, maybe I should just do 26mm/1.02" lol.

Thanks again for the input,

Paint

Back