• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally a Gate shifter for an xj :D

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so some of you might know of this already but for the ones who dont this is a great idea and i am thinking of doing this and keeping the TCM so i can still use the stock shifting patterns then you can wire up a switch so you can change from that to the gate shifter.

Here is a link to their website

http://radesignsproducts.com/14Shiftcontrollers.aspx

doesnt it still require the oem shifter for P-R-N-D selection? cool idea, but no way im installing a SECOND shifter in my jeep just to control which drive gear.

i want a MT for multiple reasons, this wont actually fill any of my needs.... it might as well make sound effects when you shift... imho

but with the on the floor shifter can you accidently put it in reverse since there is no button to unlock it? or are all the gears gated?

Here's some info and some insight to the whole setup.
"The Rock Shifter is a "factory style" replacement shifter and will operate just like what you have but - there is no lock between the "D" position and reverse so you can go back and forth easily.

Then you have to add the Baja or Rail shifter, they're virtually the same thing but the Baja shifter is the heavy duty version.

When you have the switch set to the TCM you would be using the Rock Shifter like your normal shifter and the Baja/Rail shifter would be non-functioning.

Flip the switch to use the Baja/Rail shifter, place the Rock Shifter in D then use the Baja/Rail shifter to shift between 1, 2, 3 and 4 - if you need reverse at anytime put the Rock Shifter in reverse and when you put it back in OD the Baja/Rail shifter will be in whatever gear you left it in.

So yes - you can go from 1st to reverse, you can also go from 2nd to reverse, 3rd to reverse or 4th to reverse.

The main benefit that I see in the Rock Shifter is going from the D position to reverse without a lock out; add the Baja/Rail shifter and you can go from any forward gear to reverse without the lockout. If you use the stock shifter with the Baja/Rail shifter you would have the N lock-out to deal with."

Now I've been running a Rock and a Baja for a couple years I have never accidently knocked it out of gear let alone into reverse, not a single customer has gotten back to me that they have had issues either. I'm not saying it won't happen but I don't want to know what you were doing in the front seat to do it.:D
Hope this all help clear up some stuff, and it's really nice to be able to hold first gear on steep decents even in 2wd. I hear this alot from customers.

I'd like to see some picture of the Rock shifter installed in the stock XJ location with out the center console covering it.

Last edited:
I'd like to see some picture of the Rock shifter installed in the stock XJ location with out the center console covering it.
If I had one I'd post it. Most guys want their consoles. I pulled mine out but I moved the shifter back about a foot too, then covered it all up so you couldn't see it. BenDiesel will probably be doing his install without the console this weekend????? Ben you hear me? If he'll either post pics or send me them I'll post here and on the website.

if no one posts a pic this weekend i can take mine from the set back position and move it up into the stock one so you can see, it don't take long to do so.

Well in about 2 months we will be happy to post a pict of the 2 shifters mounted in our KOH Stock Class rig. We are very happy to be able to have the control of the AW4 and at the same time have quality shifters to do so.

BenDiesel's install- his quote "looks kinda funny being all shiny with every thing around it covered in naches dust"
imag0506.jpg

Back