• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front drive shaft used in the rear?

Outlander560

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys looked around but the search on her just brings me to "what did you do on your jeep today" and crap like that.

I'm going to be buying an AA sye and i would like to save a few $$ so instead of buying a tom woods driveshaft could i just buy a stock front xj axle and use it in the rear?

stock XJ axle will not work in the rear... :doh:

what year, motor, tranny, t-case do you have?

if you have the 4.0, AW4, 231 combo it is common to use the front drive shaft of the same combination in a rear SYE application. now, we cant guarantee that because we dont know what rear axle your running, lift height, etc... but typically accepted as "will probably fit."

get the SYE in and measure. you can always use this PDF if you need to find something shorter/longer:
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF

you can run the stock AUTO front d shaft in the rear BUT you will need a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit, or SYE for short... it is best to run a kit that has a fixed output yoke, instead of a fixed output flange... because with the Fixed output yoke it is just plug and play...

otherwise you need to adapt the d shaft... no big deal, just a little more money

you can run the stock AUTO front d shaft in the rear BUT you will need a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit, or SYE for short... it is best to run a kit that has a fixed output yoke, instead of a fixed output flange... because with the Fixed output yoke it is just plug and play...

otherwise you need to adapt the d shaft... no big deal, just a little more money

I think he said he was going to buy a AA kit...:spin1:

woops i meant front xj "drive shaft"*****

VAhasnoWAVES:2001 aw4 with a 231 combo...4.5 inch lift with a c8.25

91to99/ericfx1984:i'd prefer not to buy the whole kit (sye and driveshaft) id rather just purchase the AA sye and find a good CHEAPER alternative instead of buying the 300 dollar tom woods driveshaft...

What rear axle? The pinion makes a difference for distance. I found the stock shaft to be bordlerline with the D35 (short pinion) but no problem with the 8.25 (long pinion)
correct me if im wrong, but isnt it the D44, 8.25, and 8.8 that have a shorter pinion than the D35? or is it the D44, D35, and 8.8 that have a shorter pinion than the 8.25? im confusing myself... :anon:
thank you...so just a bolt in after the sye is installed? no fab work needed?
the AA kit should accept a 1310 Ujoint. the same joint that all cherokees use. id use your front shaft after installation to see if it fits the bill. if not, that link i posted will help you find something longer/shorter.

The D35 has a short pinion. The D44 and 8.25 are basically the same long pinion. You can see this in the stock driveshafts, where the D35 shaft is about an inch longer to allow for the shorter pinion.

I don't know about the 8.8, I assume the pinion is longer due to pumpkin size and there is also the flange for the 8.8 but I don't know

the AA kit should accept a 1310 Ujoint. the same joint that all cherokees use. id use your front shaft after installation to see if it fits the bill. if not, that link i posted will help you find something longer/shorter.

for the money I would just buy a grand cherokee V8 shaft, or durango(I think) and have it shortened, should cost around $50-$100

The D35 has a short pinion. The D44 and 8.25 are basically the same long pinion. You can see this in the stock driveshafts, where the D35 shaft is about an inch longer to allow for the shorter pinion.

I don't know about the 8.8, I assume the pinion is longer due to pumpkin size and there is also the flange for the 8.8 but I don't know
got it. the 8.8 is short as well. at least my reading has told me this when i was looking to do the swap.
for the money I would just buy a grand cherokee V8 shaft, or durango(I think) and have it shortened, should cost around $50-$100
why? if you can find one that fits the first time why reinvent the wheel? itll use the same U-joints which means the same strength.

Back