• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shimmy

wheeling365

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 2000 XJ that just rolled 120k. About 6 months ago I installed a full 3" OME kit on it that I got from DPG as well as a set of used 245/75R16 BFG AT's on Moabs. Had it aligned and all 4 tires ballanced. At that time I also did the front axle U-joints on both sides. About 3 months ago it started to wear only the passenger front tire in a choppy pattern and develop a shimmy in the steering wheel around 45mph. I took it in for another alignment and rotated the tires. It was good for a bit but its starting to shimmy around 45 mph again.

I've checked everything I can think of and am out of ideas.

Its got a new JKS trackbar in the front and I re-torqued the bolts as well as inspected the frame mount bolts. The steering box mount bolts are tight and show no signs of moving or being loose. The steering linkage is all tight and freshly greased. Has a new OME steering stabilizer on it as well. I also checked the ball joints and the unit bearings and they appear to be good with no play or movement in them.

When I did the lift I had the lower control arms out to add some skids to them and the bushings all looked good. The uppers also appear ok but I have not stuck a bar in them to look for play yet.

Anyone have some ideas what I'm missing?

I can't be the only person here that has run into this????

I read thru a bunch of posts about death wobble and searched everything I can think of. None of the stuff I am finding really applies.

How have you been checking everything? For the track bar have somone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at the track bar ends and all streering ends for any play. I have alos heard of people trying to fix wobble by tourqing the crap out of the track bar bolts and the play will not show up when checking for it untill you back the bolts off a bit, you might try that. Also do that check witrh the vehicle on the ground.

As for the ball joints, best way is to jack up one side and use a pry bar underneith the tire and see is there is any play as well as putting your hands at 12 and 6 prying up/down to check for play.

Not saying you dont know how to check ths stuff but many many times people just dont know the correct way to do it.

Back