• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exterior LED upgrade issues...anyone?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched but haven't really found and answer to my questions. Was wondering if anyone has had this issue.

I upgraded all exterior lights to LEDs so all the side markers, running/parking lights and tail/stop lights. I also installed the electronic flasher module, EP-27 on my 2001 XJ.

All signal functions and stop light functions work properly ALL THE TIME except:

1.) if I have the running/parking lights on, the turn signals will work some of the time but RANDOMLY freeze up, meaning if I engage the turn signals the instrument panel flasher indicator stay on and the turn signals do not flash.

2.) It is the same if I have my headlights on as you automatically are turning on the running/parking lights as well.

When I notice my flashers freeze up when this randomly occurs both my turn signals are on in a constant state and my hazards will not work. I have checked all connections and fuses. I was thinking that maybe it has something to do with my alternator in periods of it charging my battery and sending a slightly higher current through the system since I thought the EP-27 works in a range of 9-12v with 2-6 lamps. So maybe it is operating out of its parameters sometimes. Also, wouldn't the cherokee have more the 6 lamps since it has 4 bulbs up front under the headlights, 2 front markers, 2 turn signals and 2 breaklights. Thats a total of 10, unless due to the wiring the 4 parking lights are only seen as 2. You would still have 8 though.

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Last edited:
Usually the flasher circuits look for a certain resistance which is generally compensated for by the module pack that comes with the blinkers. The indicator light on the dash staying lit is what you get when one of the bulbs are burnt out, so you know to replace it. I would say the resistance isnt just right on the circuit. too much or too little can cause that situation. These led lights can be picky when it comes to blinkers. I dont really have an explanation other than that. contact the manufacturer to see if they have any suggestions.

Usually the flasher circuits look for a certain resistance which is generally compensated for by the module pack that comes with the blinkers. The indicator light on the dash staying lit is what you get when one of the bulbs are burnt out, so you know to replace it. I would say the resistance isnt just right on the circuit. too much or too little can cause that situation. These led lights can be picky when it comes to blinkers. I dont really have an explanation other than that. contact the manufacturer to see if they have any suggestions.

thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was thinking it was something like that. I have a few resistors that are meant to be wired in so that the resistance would be similar to incandescent but have no idea if I would only need to wire one somewhere in the system or if one would need to be wired in at each light or what. The directions provided are extremely vague.

The ballast resistor only needs to be wired into the turn light circuit. This is only for if you use a standard flasher though, electronic "no load" flasher units should be able to work just fine on only LED bulbs. I have found that electronic flashers of the "no load" type cannot handle the current if you have a mix of incandescent and LED bulbs.

The ballast resistor only needs to be wired into the turn light circuit. This is only for if you use a standard flasher though, electronic "no load" flasher units should be able to work just fine on only LED bulbs. I have found that electronic flashers of the "no load" type cannot handle the current if you have a mix of incandescent and LED bulbs.

Well, not sure what is going on then since I have the EP27 electronic flasher unit

It's hard to tell unless you have the electronics knowledge or good instructions from the manufacturer. Did the kit come with a schematic? I havent installed any LED blinkers on a Jeep but ive done a few on Harleys and thats the only experience i have with them. I actually went to Radio Shack and purchased resistors and soldered them together in series with those lights. I really think an email or call to the manufacturer would yield the best results. mabye. If its an ebay made in china purchase you're gonna need to do some designing...

An electronic no load flasher should eliminate the need for a resistor. In fact, a resistor may overload some no load flashers and make them fail. This happened to me with 2 expensive flashers I bought online. I found that the 8 dollar electronic flashers at auto zone are robust enough to handle the current and are readily available. It sounds to me like the OP has some other wiring related issue though.

This maybe a silly question, does you flasher have a ground wire. The guys at Napa tried to sell me an electronic flasher with no ground wire. If there is no ground then is not fully electronic.

I've upgraded to LEDS for side blinker and all the rear lights. I don't have any troubles. I'm leaving the front indicators stock as if I swap those i get the burnt bulb issue of rapid blinker.

Back