• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj front door speakers

rdh1223

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all! Im new here so I hope this is posted in the correct forum, I guess I should say that I have just purchased a really nice xj in almost near as mint condition as it gets this late in the game. 97 se gunmetal blue with 53000 miles and no dings dents or too much rust or rot ( bottom of passenger door is rusted pretty bad so thats gonna have to get replaced) Anyways I would like to mount 6.5 inch speakers in the front doors and was wondering if someone had already figured out how to do it without making holes in the door skins. Im trying to get a good stereo system going in her but shes being difficult. I already put 2 6.5s in the rear soundbar which wasnt so hard but the reason I put them there was becuase I couldnt get the door skin back on after trying to install them on the front door. They fit in the door and the window goes down like it shud but the darn tweeter looking thing in the middle of the speaker protudes too much for the door skin to go on. Im not going to amp anything so I want to run good speakers and find a nice deck to put in her. Since I used the set of infinitys I had laying around for the back Im going to have to buy another set of speakers for the front, suggestions on both the speakers and a good deck would be much appreciated.

There are compainies out there that make slim 6.5's. CDT comes to mind, they are a higher end speaker and i have heard a set. I'd run them. I cut my panels on my first 97 for my Alipine type-r's and they turned out pretty good. This jeep has manual windows so i'm afraid the handle will hit the grille and annoy me so i'm going with a slim set. Why not cut the panels? Its not like there are 1 million+ 97 XJ's out there. Just make it look clean and call it a day.

I have infinity slim fit 6.5's up front. You have quite a bit of clearance to work with. The regular models should fit just fine. If they are too deep the magnet will hit the window glass when rolled down. The tweeter is the only area of concern on the face. You will need to drill at least two screw holes in the sheet metal to mount them.

I can post if you are still concerned. Or, you can review my posts. Search for my name and speakers.

Back