• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Control Arm Dilemma

dukie564

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Ok so here's my dilemma. I need to grab some adjustable LCAs for my upcoming 4"+/- lift.

My two options that I've narrowed it down to are:

1) a set of the newer style RC LCAs with their X-Flex joint at the frame side - These are used with "very little wear" - but big and beefy.
jeep_1190.jpg

2) a set of IronMan4x4 Fab LCAs with a Johnny Joint at the frame end.
SJF-LCA-F.jpg

My question is this - taking into account the fact that the RC ones are significantly less expensive to me to buy from the seller than the IronMan ones, is it worth the extra cash to go IronMan? I eventually want to go long arm, and this is my DD as well.

Is the bend in the IronManFab LCAs purposeful? It seems like it would prevent the bonejarring effects of short arms at high angles due to the bend, effectively decreasing that angle more to the level of mid arms. Or am I completely off base with that reasoning?

Also, based on peoples experience with the RC joints, can I expect issues with them deteriorating?

Thanks in advance for the input.

RC flex joints go out after 100 miles or less. Believe me, I was on my third set before I wised up and bought johnny joints to replace the "Flex Joint" and I haven't had a problem since.

they look like they're exactly the same type of joint from the exploded views, is it just a quality issue?

I'm thinking the re joints are failing and knocking do to not properly adjusting the preload on the joint. I do my re joints on install and after a good cycling of the suspension. There "always need more adjustment after"

Buy the Iron Man, pure beef.

If you look at the Ironman arms, they have a bend in them, that is to clear the LCA/coil/shock mount when it droops, the LCA doesnt hit the mount, and limit the flex.

Also added to the list are ROMKEN LCAs. These things are MASSIVE, with Johnny Joints on each end.

63288d1233029077-jks-vs-rokmen-vs-currie-vs-rokkrawler-control-arms-3.jpg

For DD duties I wouldn't run Johnny Joints on each end. Might make for a rough ride IMO. I also don't have any experience with them either.

Send a link for the ROMKEN LCAS. My short search failed...

Go with RC,the other ones use poly,bad idea!

go with iron man, or another company with the same bend if you plan on ever going higher than 4". the straigh arms will limit you because of reasons stated by twodoorXJ.
if you get drop brackets for the control arms, then straight arms will work fine.

Straight arms are stronger,and clearancing the mount is easy,just say "NO" to poly!

Go with IronMan! RC has had poor luck with their flex joints. I recently bought an installed IronMan's track bar (yes I know not the same part) and the build quality is astounding! I am now thinking of going with their long arms in the future and accompanying them with the Clayton crossmember when the time comes.

But no matter which one you go with make sure to grease grease grease those joints!!! Lack of grease is the death of polyurethane, especially johnny joints!

ok well...here's my current thoughts...

the RC ones are cheap enough for me to buy used right now that I can afford to replace the flex joint with a Currie JJ if it goes bad again, or just replace the bushings halves with currie components if that will work. I plan to move to a krawler 3-link setup in the near future so i only need these for a short period to keep my castor in check. $150 sounds a lot better for the short period than $300....

I think you are clearly looking for approval to go with the cheaper option with the expectation that you are going long arm in the near future.

With some for and some against, I would say take the RC and upgrade to long arms when either the RC's wear out or you get the cash get the new gear - which ever comes first.

Recommendations with other people's money are easy. Do what you can comfortably afford and make the most of it.

Is the bend in the IronManFab LCAs purposeful? It seems like it would prevent the bonejarring effects of short arms at high angles due to the bend, effectively decreasing that angle more to the level of mid arms. Or am I completely off base with that reasoning?

no it will not change your angles, the angle is still measured from frame mounting point to axle mounting point

Go with Ironman's. He uses Johnny joints and they are far superior.

I swapped out RC's problematic joints for Currie joints, despite RC going the extra mile to solve the bushing issue. It's nice to be able to drive the jeep clunk-free for once.

Or if the arms are too good to pass up, get em, run em till the joints die, and then spend $90 on a pair of johnny joints to replace the flex joints. Currie offers direct replacement joints.

do you know if it's possible to just swap the bushings and not the whole joint? Or does currie's design differ from RCs more than just the bushing quality?

why not just go with ironmans fixed arms? if your just doing it for temp, they are cheaper, stronger, and andy will make them longer upon request.

Back