• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Exhaust 89 LTD

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this is a dumb question(s)....

What is the exhaust pipe that's in between the manifold header and the cat converter called? I think mine is cracked (I hope it's not the manifold headers)

Also, while I'm there, if I want to change the Cat, is that a big job to remove it - mine seems to be bolted to the frame and pretty corroded.

Thanks for any advice.

Jeep calls it " pipe, front exhaust", I've heard it called the down pipe or the crossover pipe. I've also never found one after market that fit right.
Your exhaust leak is likely the exhaust manifold.
The Cat has a front flange on it, unique to XJ's ( as far as I know). there is a gasket between the two flanges. The nuts and bolts can be a pain to get off. I usually toss them and get new ones.
If your Cat isn't rattling like a tin can full of rocks or rusted through, I'd leave it. It can be a pain getting the Cat outlet out of the muffler inlet without a torch or destroying something.
If you don't have the tools it's best t let a muffler shop do it. They can cut the old flange of and weld it onto a universal Cat. They may even have the flange on the shelf.
Always a good idea to remember the exhaust is connected to the exhaust manifold and the exhaust manifold doesn't take kindly to twisting, torquing and hammering anywhere on the exhaust system.

Hi Mud:

Thanks for your note. Ya, I think I caused this one, whatever it is. I recently put in new rear shocks that had rubber boots. The boots ended up being pretty close to the exhaust pipe so i had to loosen the tail pipe at the muffler (I had put on a new tailpipe and muffler of a few weeks beforehand) and was yanking on it vigorously to try and rotate it a bit to get the hoop that goes above the axle to move a bit away from the shock boot.

The exhaust noise seem to be coming from underneath somewhere but I haven't taken a real close look at it. I'll pop the hood and take a good look at the manifold ( I hope I haven't wrecked it!)

XJBucko....don't overlook the "doughnut gasket" between the manifold and the exhaust pipe. I thought I had a cracked manifold and it turned out to only be the gasket...less than $5 at NAPA.

When it's cool...start it up. get under it and run your hand around, you'll feel the leak.

Back