• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need ideas on CEL

Forceful Llama

NAXJA Forum User
well I went to a referee station today to get my jeep legal ( previous owner did an engine swap and neglected to tell me...). Among several minor things that need to be addressed is a check engine light. Does anyone have some suggestions or websites with a right up? I did a search and after about 35 pages I am taking a break and seeking wisdom that I do not have. It doesnt have to be in the instrument cluster, just labeled and functional.

oh, its an 89 xj with a 91-95 4.0 installed.

What exactly is the problem with the check engine light? Is it on or is it not coming on. Since the engine is a 91-95 does it have a OBDII port?

It did not come with one from the factory. When the new motor was installed, did they convert over to the new HO computer? If so, they should have swapped out the wiring harness along with the instrument cluster.

Does it have the OBDII port under the dash? it sounds like they swapped the engine but dint upgrade the cel. Have you tried doing the key on key off cycle to see if the cel flashes?

according to the ref, everything from the 91+ engine and comp was swapped out. he had the scan tool set up on the driver side inner fender. he didn't know what computer module was installed though, only that it was throwing codes to the scanner. I guess there is no under dash hookup for obdII, as I thought 91-95 was obdI? The only light that comes on when key is cycled is the brake light.

To pass the inspection, I need to address the codes being thrown ( 22,33,35,76), bring my nox levels down, and install some sort of CEL. He doesn't care where, as long as its labeled and functional. I really suck at electrical wiring, so I was hoping someone with exp setting up a CEL would chime in. Is there a way to check if the instrument cluster was swapped as well? If so, I suppose I could run the wiring to the light in there.

So looking at a 93 FSM, the wire I am looking for is light green. If I hook up a wire that is connected to a ground and bulb, would this throw codes? would I need to have a fuse in there somewhere? Cause that woudl be pretty easy and I could have a custom message put on the bulb... :gee:

Back