• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help with my DD

98NWCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone,

I'm having an issue with my XJ. Here are the specs:

98 XJ Limited
4.0, AW4 2 Wheel Drive
8.25 rear axle (recent replacement of pinion bearings)

I've noticed in the last couple of days when I take off from a stop I'm getting a noticable whine in 1st gear. The XJ shifts exactly the same and has no driveability issues. At first I thought this was just due to running with the window down for nicer weather, but its definitely louder. Yesterday I warmed it up and then checked the fluid on flat ground, running in neutral. The fluid was well within the normal range and was pink with no foul smells. The fluid has not been changed since I've owned it (2+ years) because everytime I check it, it has been pink and within the normal range.

What could be going on here? Do others notice a 1st gear whine? Could this be the beginning signs of a pump or torque convertor failure? This is my daily driver for a new job so I have to jump on this quickly. Thank you.

Pink?

...dark, clear, red is how it should look.

Pink would indicate to me some moisture in the fluid. IMHO

2+ years and no trans filter and fluid change...ouch My thought is it is time for one to be done. The fluid should be red not pink. The fluid may be so far broken down it is not letting the trans work correctly.

Are you sure it's coming from the trans? I would be looking into more axle becaue of the pinion bearing replacment. Try shifftig the trans into neutral while you here the sound and see if it goes away, or if it's really coming from the rear end. AW4s are tough trans if you do service it I would do a fush to get all the fluid out.

Thanks for the replies. Here's an update and I could use some more advice. I was 99% sure it was coming from the trans, but I ended up taking it to a transmission mechanic I trust. He drove it with me and said it was the very beginnings of a Torrington bearing failure. He checked the fluid and said it actually looked great. So my question is, how long can I run like this? Should I go ahead and change the fluid anyway? He said once you hear noise, the damage is already beginning and a fluid change won't do any good. He also said most people wouldn't be able to perceive the noise this early. Any advice?

I've included a link to the fluid range.....maybe my eyes are off, but mine looks pink, like the one on the far left. I suppose it could be considered reddish. It's free of any particles and the level is good.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_transmission_fluid_types_1.jpg

Ok, got a 2nd opinion on the tranny......maybe that wasn't such a good idea. They want $2000 to re-build it and say it will grenade within 6 months. Now, I know a sales pitch when I hear one, and I just don't think it's that bad. They said there was a decent amount of metal in the pan magnet, but the noise is really quiet.....You couldn't hear it with the radio on or when the engine is cold with the fan clutch. It sounds just like a reverse straight cut gear.

So guys help me out here......how long do I have? The XJ has 154.2k miles on her. I believe most of those miles were in town, light duty with no off-roading. I went ahead and had a service done so its got fresh fluid in it. What kind of a bomb am I driving here? The guy at the tranny shop said he wouldn't leave town with it.......

Torrington bearing ????
I've included a link to the fluid range...It's free of any particles and the level is good.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_transmission_fluid_types_1.jpg

WTF is a Torrington bearing?? The fluid looks like fuschia, what you don't want is strawberry milkshake. I'd say you're good if it looks like the far left fluid. Keep an eye on it, check often. Hard to hurt an AW4, I'd be looking at another piece of the drive train.

2nd opinion $2000...grenade within 6 months... sales pitch...154.2k ...fresh fluid in it.

I've eliminated some of your post and just kept some of the key words and/or phrases. You can BUY a re-man for about $1500, or a low mile AW4 from a junkyard in the 200-500 range. Of course the tranny guy wants to make money, no harm there, but I'd hold off. My 90 has 235K on it and drives and shifts fine, towing, freeway, in town.

Just ask yourself if you're willing to spend 2K on a problem that may not even exist.

I'm not as expert as most folks here but I had a first gear noise problem and it turned out to be excessive brake shoe dust in one of the rear brakes. Also, while I was trying to figure it out I read that a bad trans mount could sometimes cause noise in low gear. If you haven't already, have a friend ride with you and get them to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.

Back