• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ, where's the fuel pump???

DJ404564X4

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to buy a Tomkem skid for the wife's 96 XJ with a 4.0. Is the pump in the tank? Should I just buy a factory pump or is there a better one out there?

Thanks,
DJ

Yes, they pump is in the front of the tank. You don't have to drop the tank to get to the pump. Stick with the stock one. They do just fine.

Be EXTRA carefull with the 96 fuel pump. ONLY used in 96 year and it can be extra expensive.

-If taken out, check that short hose from pump to outlet is in good condition and clamps tight.

- get a new "O" ring from dealer for flange seal to tank. ( ~ $6), coat with silicone grease. Tighten down slowly watching for 'O' slipping out of the groove, -push back in with smooth tool, popsicle stick works fine.

-be sure 'rubber stopper' on bottom of assembly seats in recess in bottom of tank. the flange will sit against tank evenly all around ready for lock ring.

Slow, gentle, easy is the key.

Fuel pump can be changed without dropping tank. Get fuel in tank to less than 1/4 helps and raise xj securely on stands for room to work.

Why do you need a new pump? The one in my '96 hums right along without problems. They can get quite loud before they need replacing.

Mike

Being pro active. EVERYTHING else has gone out, I figure I should beat this one to the punch instead of getting a call from the wife. Also I'll be there might as well. The stock skid is pushed in from a rock hit, I might just bend it back in place as all we really do is fast stuff in her XJ, my TJ is for rock crawlin. With the amount of money I spend on my TJ I need to make sure her daily driver is good to go. Mine's just a toy, her's is used daily.

Be EXTRA carefull with the 96 fuel pump. ONLY used in 96 year and it can be extra expensive.

-If taken out, check that short hose from pump to outlet is in good condition and clamps tight.

- get a new "O" ring from dealer for flange seal to tank. ( ~ $6), coat with silicone grease. Tighten down slowly watching for 'O' slipping out of the groove, -push back in with smooth tool, popsicle stick works fine.

-be sure 'rubber stopper' on bottom of assembly seats in recess in bottom of tank. the flange will sit against tank evenly all around ready for lock ring.

Slow, gentle, easy is the key.

Fuel pump can be changed without dropping tank. Get fuel in tank to less than 1/4 helps and raise xj securely on stands for room to work.

Sweet! Thank you!

The OEM pumps are good and last long so
'if it aint ...'

..saying...

(If you change it, suggest you be extra careful with old pump and save it for spare parts.)

be sure she knows to always keep at least 1/4 tank of fuel in tank.
good for the pump and there in case of emergency.

The OEM pumps are good and last long so
'if it aint ...'

..saying...

True, but Murphy's Law says if i don't replace it while I'm there on a 100k mile almost 15 year old Jeep, i will be doing it within a week. Or it will take a dump on me in the middle of no where. Mr. Murphy and his Law, hates me...:roflmao:

Be EXTRA carefull with the 96 fuel pump. ONLY used in 96 year and it can be extra expensive......
Wasn't aware the 96 pumps were different.
(Maybe because it was a transition year?)

Is there something special about them that makes
them more expensive, or just that they are 'rarer'?

Thanks

Why do you need a new pump? The one in my '96 hums right along without problems. They can get quite loud before they need replacing.

Mike

I have a 1990 and mine is starting to hum a lot and much louder on longer trips. I plan to ride mine out till the end as well.

Back