• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding frame siffeners with flux core

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Is it ok to weld my frame stiffeners and sliders with flux core? Im not going to be able to get gas by the time I do it, and really dont wana pay what gas costs. Will it be ok? Or should I be worrked about the splatter and dust hurting my paint or anything else? There going on a DD and I do care about my paint and dont want it to be ruined by useing flux core. Worst case I guess I could spring for some gas but would rather not unless it is needed.

I think the biggest issue with flux core is that it's not great for thin metal. I had a tough time doing my exhaust with flux, but I'm not very good at welding either haha. I was wondering myself if I could do the rocker panels or frame stiffeners with flux, but both have pretty thin steel.

You would have to be a pretty bad welder to get splatter on your paint if your welding stiffeners underneath your vehicle. I mean really bad.

Welded all my welds on the jeep with flux core (including stiffeners). Works just fine, flux works better for rusted/painted/galvanized steel.

You're over thinking it just start welding :thumbup:

Take your time with the preperation, make sure the metal is bare and clean. clean-up is a bit of a pain, same as arc welding, but its very do-able. And given the situation a flux core welder will do a better job ( outside, windy enviroment) than gas.

No reason you cant your under the jeep spatter will fall for the most part...

the blue norton rapid strip disc from home depot work awsome for cleaning up the frame rails, when welding the stiffners on just get a good pool goin with the stiffner then bring it to the rail, dont spend alot of time on the rail

And given the situation a flux core welder will do a better job ( outside, windy enviroment) than gas.

setting up a screen is well worth the improved welds imho. flux core is for chumps and field repairs.

Spatter shouldn't be the problem. It's burn through and getting crappy welds that I'm worried about.
have you welded on a set of frame stiffeners yet? spatter is quite a problem, you'll see =)

Welded all my welds on the jeep with flux core (including stiffeners). Works just fine, flux works better for rusted/painted/galvanized steel.

You're over thinking it just start welding :thumbup:

Ya thats what I was thinking but just thought I would ask first!

Take your time with the preperation, make sure the metal is bare and clean. clean-up is a bit of a pain, same as arc welding, but its very do-able. And given the situation a flux core welder will do a better job ( outside, windy enviroment) than gas.

ya arc welding sucks I know that for sure. I got to school for welding and arc is just bad. More time grinding it then welding, and way to much splatter.

And Ill be welding outside to so I thought it would be better to

Spatter shouldn't be the problem. It's burn through and getting crappy welds that I'm worried about.

I dont have a problem with flux, I know how to work it pretty well and get some nice beads

the blue norton rapid strip disc from home depot work awsome for cleaning up the frame rails, when welding the stiffners on just get a good pool goin with the stiffner then bring it to the rail, dont spend alot of time on the rail

Ive got my flap disks and my wire wheel ready to tackle it.
Ya a few guys I have talked to that have done this said dont start in the hole (I have the HD ones) because you will burn threw. Start of the stiffener then work it in.

Wear earplugs, spatter in the ear sucks.

Ya it for sure does. But I will still take flux splatter over arc any day. I still have burns on my hands from arc

have you welded on a set of frame stiffeners yet? spatter is quite a problem, you'll see =)

No I have not. But I have done plenty of welding on other things. Like all school last year, both my bumpers I built, my belly skid, other peoples jeeps, and school this year. Its not to bad. If you get in the spot you are good to go and it stays off you pretty much. Ive done plenty of welding so I deff know lol

While i am no welding expert i have taken some college level courses in welding. The Flux Core wire vs the gas when relating to plating the sub frame will really have no difference as far as strength of weld. It comes down to cleanliness of the welded surface, the material to be welded and composition of the wire and shielding agent. In fact for heavy industrial welding large flux core Mig welders are used, because they penetrate the material. I have personally used these machines on 1'' pieces of plate and with the welder dialed in it penetrates about 1/8'' into the material.

I know a few guys that work in the auto body repair field and they claim that small 110v Flux core welders are what they prefer for doing sheet metal work. The secret to keeping spatter down is with some anti spatter spray. You can purchase the spray at any welding shop or on line. Also if you live in damp climates or the rust belt i would recommend using weldable primer in between the plating and sub frame to prevent excessive rust.

I hope this helps in making your decision on using your flux cored welder. If you are worried about burning through go up to Tractor supply :farmer: Lowe's Home depot and buy some sheet stock and practice welding before you try it on your truck.

Wow, that's some bad luck.
I had a friend get some slag in his boot while overhead stick welding.
He couldn't get that boot off fast enough. :eek:

I know all about that and the scar on my left instep as proof.

I would just save up for a gas welder. I mean once you have one you have it for life pretty much.
I had a flux core welder and I hated it. I used a stick welder over that.

I don't have a lot of problems with spatter on my Hobart flux welder. I think it's mostly about wire quality, since the whole point of flux is that the gas is inside the wire. Bad wire, bad welds and lots of spatter. Good wire, good welds and less spatter. Buy your wire at a welding shop instead of harbor freight

Back