• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help - Can I get a softer street ride?

Allred

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched this forum, and learned that lower tire pressures and softer sidewall tires might help me get a more comfortable ride in my '98 Cherokee Sport. It has 163,000 + miles now, and except for tires one size larger than stock, and new shocks about 4,000 miles ago, all other is original or equal.

The tires are Michelin LTX steel belted radials, which I have been running at 32 lbs.

I do no real 4-wheeling, just an occassional graded gravel or dirt road. On these, and on anything but the smoothest pavement, each and every bump, no matter how large or small, at most legal speeds, makes the suspension jar the chassis as if they were slamming together. :tears:

In all other ways, this vehicle serves me dependably and well. I don't really want to replace it, but...I'm getting on in years and the very harsh ride is becoming more and more uncomfortable for me.

Are there any other steps I should consider? Do springs & rubber bushings wear out? If so, which ones, and where could I get "soft" replacements?

Thanks,

Allred
Riverton, Utah

Softest you'll fine is OEM rubber bushings. Most aftermarket uses poly bushings which only make it harsher. Perhaps your suspension is just so tired it's riding bumpstops???? You can check online websites like quadratec and purchase stock height replacement suspension parts or go OME suspension. I hear they ride very smooth as I use OME rear leafs.

Best of luck in ride quality. I'm around 4" lift and trying to keep it a smooth ride.

Do springs & rubber bushings wear out?

Yes to both.

I just replaced my CA bushings, track bar bushing and leaf bushings and although it's not what I'd call a soft ride, I would say it's tighter. It doesn't wobble around, steering is straight & true and when I hit a bump it doesn't react with such a clunk.

I used ALL rubber bushings

i advise trying a new control arm bushings (OEM rubber) from the frame side, to the axle side. aswell as going with a softer shock, such as the bilstein 5100.

another thing i advise, is an OldmanEmu Lift, They have a 1.5" lift that will surely do wonders for you.. This kit is not designed so much as a "Lift kit" as it is designed to bring life back into the suspension department of your Jeep.

Allred, what brand/type shocks did you put on?
Shocks make a BIG difference in how a vehicle rides.

Unless you carry plenty of load, do long trips or drive fast, I would suggest reducing the tire pressure by 2 to 4 pounds. I run my tires at 28 PSI in the city and 32 PSI for highway trips. At 32 PSI, I feel every pebble and every paint stripe on the city streets. At highway speeds, I feel nothing.

What size are you tires? Any lift? What shocks are you running?

Michelin LTX are good tires and shouldn't make your ride harsh. Your tire pressure may be wrong, stiff springs, stiff shock, etc.

A car type touring "P" rated tire would definately give a better ride assuming your shocks are good the entire suspension in a good state of repair and the rear shackle angle is correct.

I've got a set of Michellin Hydroedge tires on my 05 Impala and they make the street ride nice and smooth. Before they were on it was a mixed set of tires when I bought it and there was a noticeable difference in smoothness on the street.

X2 the post above me.
Gives the leafs a bit of preload and the added downtravel helps fill the gaps between road and hole.

Mine rides soooo nice with a load of wood in the back lol.

Back