• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My rear spring dilemma...need input

samger2

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ...3" zone lift, pro-comp rear springs.

The pro-comp rear springs ride TERRIBLY. I can't wait to get out of the Jeep everytime I drive it. Hurts my neck, hurts my stomach...absolutely too stiff and terrible. I tried loosening the bolts with the weight of the vehicle on the spring and re tightening them, I've added 240lbs of weight in the back...no difference. I do realize that there is SOMEWHAT of a break in period on springs, but for as stiff as these are, I can't believe it's going to be that much to make it a comfortable ride.

I've done some searches on here, I've read some reviews...and I called 4 wheel parts...the place that I bought the pro-comps from. Their response? All rear springs that are made for a lifted Jeep are going to ride rough...plain and simple. So in other words, what I gather from that and from my conversation is that I'm not going to be able to buy anything that will provide a comfortable ride for my DD.

I've done some research and found that Skyjacker makes the soft ride springs...his response to those is that they are prone to sagging and won't be the true height I'm looking for...and then I mentioned OME...and his response to that was they don't make a spring for a 3" lift.

I'm stumped. These pro-comps have to come off...but I don't know what to replace them with...help!

I never go to 4 wheel parts for anything other then like oil or lights. They don't know what they're talking about.

OME does make a 3" leaf. But I hear they are pricey. I have heard that you can make a 3" lift pack using stock xj leafs into a bastard back and that they are soft too. I don't have experience making it, just what I've heard.

Remember the softer the springs the more it will sag when loaded with weight.

Rustys and rough country also make a 3" leaf, but I don't their spring rates.

what shackles you got? lifted? oem? if so try to use boomerang shackles -they are shaped unlike the any others and will exted spring travell so the leafs got more ''room'' to expand....

OME part number cs 033ra= 3.5in xj leaf spring for medium duty.

I just bought a set of these for 310 shipped to my work.

I removed the shocks from the lower mount on the axle just now and drove it...nothing changed, still just as stiff and bouncy, so at this point in the game I think I'll rule out shocks.

Post up a pic of your shackle angle.

Your shackle should be pointing to the rear at about a 45* angle. I'm running RE 3.5" leafs with a 1" lift boomerang shackle and the ride isn't smooth, but it's comfortable enough to me.

Ok gang...I'm only posting this in case someone else makes the same mistake I just realized I made.

I somehow went braindead when putting my leafs on and did not re-install a rear shackle!! I had a 1.75" BB on it that had extended shackles...with that shackle it raised the rear too much, so I removed that large shackle...and for some ridiculous reason forgot to get OEM shackles for when it was time to put the new springs in. I JUST noticed this when I went back out. So I actually installed my rear springs without any shackles...no freaking wonder it's riding like it is.

Go ahead...laugh...

:eek: :looser:

Please limit beer consumption to 3 12 oz. cans per hour when wrenching on jeep.:laugh3:
This is best for the safety of yourself and others around you...

I can see how that would ride poorly.

You probably don't want a totally stock shackle (very short). See if you can find an MJ shackle (here or ebay) that is like .5" lift.

.. sigh, i don't even have the heart to nominate this one.

You just made me spit beer at my phone as I read that. That was good. Sorry but that made my day. Hahahaha

What are you talking about only 3 12oz cans? I can't even get started wrenching without a 6er in me otherwise I feel it when I snap a bolt and bash my knuckles on what always seems to be the sharpest or roughest part of the jeep lmao. Glad you figured out your problem I'm sure all of us here have done something just as stupid (like cleaning out the TB and not reconnecting the IAC or TPS and wonder why the hell it wont start).

Considering post #2 attacking 4-Wheel parts, I am dying of laughter.

All said, when you install the OEM shackles, it may still ride a bit stiffer than stock.

But atleast the springs will move! :rof::rof:

Since you forgot the shackles...

Did you did put the springs on the right way? :D :D

or forgetting to attach the ground back to the batt. and wondering wtf????? what now??? lmao

I know I know...stupid move so I'll accept all the flames.

It rides as good as stock if not better now that I put the shackles in....definitely my biggest DUH moment in a loooong time.....

I know I know...stupid move so I'll accept all the flames.

It rides as good as stock if not better now that I put the shackles in....definitely my biggest DUH moment in a loooong time.....

It happens.

I have a '62 Ford pickup I periodically post about here. I have had it for 20 years now.

My father has forgotten more about cars and engines than most people on this forum have or will ever know. I learned a long time ago not to second guess him.

A few years ago the engine on my ford wouldnt turn over. Turns out, it wouldnt turn over *at all*. Completly seized. A few discussions with dad, and he told me matter of factly that I had blown the bottom end. (believeable. I like throttle). I pulled the head, pulled the pistons, dropped the crank, and although I didnt see anything obviously wrong, did an in-frame rebuild.

When I was done, the engine would not turn over. Not even with a breaker bar on the harmonic bolt. Odd. Yesterday I was turning it over with my hands.

.. It was the most expensive bad starter I have ever had. Starter bendix broke and jammed the flywheel... didn't even have to replace the starter motor. $21 and 3 bolts. :/

... duh.

Back