• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? on how to remove rear leaf springs.

jackate

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ 4.0

My question is do I have to remove the rear shocks to replace the leaf springs.

I was planning on removing both rear tires and supporting the jeep from the frame rails with jack stands, then can I support the axle with jack stands and leave the shocks on?

Also I have made a parts list from morris 4x4 center but was wondering if I reuse the bolts that go through the bushings into the frame, or do I look for new ones.

My parts list:

Shackle x 2
Item :52000507 Price : $17.99

springs x 2
Item :4886186AB Price : $89.99

bushing front x 2
Item :52000503 Price : $10.99

bushing rear x 2
Item :52000504 Price : $8.99

U-Bolt - With Chrysler 8-1/4" Axle, 3.55 Wide x 4
Item# 52004010 Price : $7.99

I am already spraying PB blaster and plan on using a combination of heat and tighten-loosen to remove the bolts.

Also you don't tighten everything up until you lower the jeep on it wheels again is that right.

It depends on how much you have to lower the axle to install the springs. The shocks are only 1 bolt for each side, is it really that tough to remove them?

Correct, do not tighten the leaf spring bolts or shackle bolts until the XJ is sitting on the ground.

I guess it would not be tough to remove the bottom bolts of the shocks, if that is all that is neccesary?

I just remember that I had to take the jeep to a shop to replace the rear shocks and they said they were a pain, because of rusted bolts ect. I believe where they mount on top is a big problem when replacing them.

I guess it would not be tough to remove the bottom bolts of the shocks, if that is all that is neccesary?

I just remember that I had to take the jeep to a shop to replace the rear shocks and they said they were a pain, because of rusted bolts ect. I believe where they mount on top is a big problem when replacing them.

Yeah, you just have to remove the lower nuts to remove the shocks. Leave the upper bolts alone unless you are replacing the shocks.

Back