• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading from 4.5 to 6.5 what do I need!

DubbyDoo

NAXJA Forum User
ok I have a full rustys 4.5 inch lift with full 4.5 inch leafs. I plan on getting the ironrock la upgrade. I want to upgrade to 6.5 inches as well what will I have to upgrade and what can I use off my old lift. as far as coils im just gonna buy some 6.5s how do I go about getting 6.5 in the back can I use block seeing as I have aftermarket leafs? thanks

To go to 6.5" you need to consider:

Brake lines - need to lengthened
Trackbar - go with a nice double sheer one, you can either make one or buy one
Steering - your angle are your to be very steep, make sure to match your steering angle to your trackbar angle
Control arm angle - you could go with ironrock, some people like it and some don't like how it mounts to the one upper using their wierd castor thing, you can also do some drop brackets
Rear lift - I would go with a longer shackle and some relocation brackets, don't use blocks
Drive line angles - probably going to need an SYE no later the year at that height.
Front lift - Coils would be best, but you can also do a coil spacer

Why the extra 2"? 4.5" is a good hieght and you can fit almost any tire with proper trimming and bumpstopping.

What are you looking to gain?

just want to go taller I have 32's on it now, not real fond of cutting the fenders my rear doesnt flex much now with the full 4.5 leaf pack when it flexs it pushes into the sub frame making a loud noise and clunk. also plan on going with the hack n tap

WOW 6.5" with 32s!! Seems like a ton of lift for that size tire. I can understand not wanting to cut the fenders though. You could always relocate the fenders to keep the stock look and save that $$ on a real SYE.

You may regret it after a year - but I know inchitis is a powerful force

(note) I'm returning to 4.5 after going to 7 ish & 35s. Its more hassle than its worth. I can only suggest to keep it simple & practical (gas isnt getting cheaper)... You will like how it looks but it will fade away & you may end up deciding to return to practicality for economic reasons.

Back