• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Control Arms Front/Back Play.

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
When the XJ has been parked for a few hours/overnight and i am in reverse and brake there is a clunk. Going under the car it seems the LCAs arms are moving back and forth ?

I have changed the bushings and this problem is still occurring ?

By the way these are RE LCA that came with the 4.5" Lift.

Thanks,
Pete

check the shim pack behind the LCA pocket that sets caster.

Are the bolts worn on the shank?
Did you replace the bolts with regular grade 8 ones? The factory bolts are oddball, you need the right ones. I tried substituting grade 8 hardware and had slop.

I would check ball joints while your looking. I had the same symptom and it was the ball joints.

check your motor and transmission mounts... I have this problem and that is what it is.

Check your brakes carefully. The older(both mine are 89's), not sure on the newer, can and do wear down and create a bump/catch point on the brake pad slide area by the caliper and or mounting bracket. I just filed the edge off and was/am good to go. No issues for about a year now just every once in a blue moon it may do it know.

Back