• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toggle switch ignition works well, but...

7newman7

NAXJA Forum User
It does not unlock the shifter.

1991 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Base package

Does anyone know the wire color to disengage the lock solenoid? I want to keep the lock in place for safety purposes, but want it to unlock when my ignition rocker switch is on.

I guess if I can't get the information here I will start going through manuals and get the test light out. :D

it's not electronic. it's an actual cable attached to the lock cylinder and the shifter. i'm sure there would be some way around it so you don't have to use the keys.

it's not electronic. it's an actual cable attached to the lock cylinder and the shifter. i'm sure there would be some way around it so you don't have to use the keys.

Thanks for the info. I think we may be talking about two different things. I am not talking about the button on the shifter, I am talking about what allows you to move the shifter from park when the key switch is in the "unlock" or "run" position. Sorry for not be more clear on that.

Searched through a manual and it mentions "shift lock solenoid". Are you sure it is not electrical? Looking for wiring colors for the solenoid.

It is a cable. Pull the cover off of your console and then look in front of the shifter. Turn your key back and forth and watch which of the 2 cables move. Take a small prybar and pop off the end of the offending cable. Wala, problem solved. You still have to press in the thumb button to move the shifter so no safety issue, unless you leave kids in the vehicle. In that case, either set the parking brake or don't leave kids in the vehicle. Preferably the latter.

Its the cable on the right, there is a rod leading down the steering column to it on my 91 just disconnect it at the shifter.

:doh: :cheers:

Thanks for all the replies. I was trying to make it harder than what it is.

Really going to make sure I hide a kill switch well now.

Back