• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear frame reinforcent @ bumpstops

RenegadeT

NAXJA Forum User
I'm always cracking the unibody right in front of the front hole for the factory rear bumpstops. I'm rock racing a stock XJ with no stiffeners, just a 2" spacer and YJ bumpstops. Looking to add some rear stiffeners, do they all cover this area? Do any (I think Ruff Stuff might) have material that bends under the rail instead of just weld to the side? Thanks...I'm searching, its hard to sort thru all the hits though.

Go to your local steel company and just pick up some plate so you can do it any way you want.

x2 It will be much cheaper and you will be able to get exactly what you want.

I didnt like how pretty much the only availible aftermarket rear stiffy's (HD Offroad) only plate over one plane, the outside, of the framerails. Im also a cheapass and got a sheet of 1/8" plate for sort money. It was wicked easy to make some templates and transfer it over to metal. I thought about using some 3x3x3/16 angle, but I wanted something that would contour and cover more of the framerail. I plated the outside/bottom and having bracing to the inside.

23kdvux.jpg

14uvpeq.jpg

6ftq93.jpg

dqjifa.jpg

2wn5xko.jpg

33y2rup.jpg

Looks like you've raised the gas tank so a stock skid is out, are you planning on plating over the tank or just leaving it?

Yup, nothing is gunna hang below the bottom of the framerails. Some more pics/details of my build can be seen in the link below in my signature. I got a 4'x8' sheet of plastic to skin my bellypan/boatsides with, hopefully there should be enough left to skin the bottom of the tank too.

you guys are just cutting off the seat belt body mount outrigger, about 8" in front of the axle? That looks like a nice bracket tieing the "rail" to the floor

you guys are just cutting off the seat belt body mount outrigger, about 8" in front of the axle? That looks like a nice bracket tieing the "rail" to the floor

I will no longer have rear seats. I decided to just cut them outta the way to plate the rails

If I were you I would put another piece of plate over the outside of that vertical seam, to help relieve some of the stress on the weld there.

Already got some custom fishplate-type patches planned to be used throughout the rig. :thumbup:

Back