• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3, 6, 9, and 12 combos

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Got some death wobble after swapping front and rear axles.

My drivers side front, grabbed at 12 and 6 is solid, but grabbed at 3 and 9 wiggles between a quarter and half inch.

My passengers side front, grabbed at 12 and 6 wiggles between a half and three quarters of an inch, and at 3 and 9 is solid.

I did check the lug nuts to make sure they were all snug, so that isn't causing the movement.

So what does this tell us?

FYI....have a ZJ tie rod with new TREs, the stock track bar (redrilled with the lift, and a new drag link end at the pitman arm, and new wheel spacers.

FYI (part II)...it has the same issues no matter if I have my stock street tires on a 16" rim or my 31" MTs on a 15" rim on the truck, so I don't think it is related to a tire being bad.

while you do that. have someone look at whats moving that shouldnt be moving

sounds like balljoints to me. Could be hubs too, but would expect it to be wobbly at 3 and 9 as well if that were the case.

Ball joints were all new when the axle was replaced. Thanks for the idea though. I should have mentioned that in the OP.

I tend to think ball joints would cause movement while being grabbed at 12 and 6.....but guess they could cause it at 3 and 9 if they are really bad:dunno:

movement at 3 and 9 would be bad tre's,draglink,or steering box loose/crack frame.

of course all that goes out the window if your hubs are bad

All you can do is look. If the ball joints are new then it's almost going to have to be the hub if you have that much movement at 12 and 6.

Back