• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tools for Junkyard AW4 Removal?

Skits

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to go pull the AW4 and 231 out of a '98 XJ at the yard. Can anyone suggest what tools I should have with me to make sure I get it done the first trip? This place is probably 15 miles away, I don't want to be making second trips for tools.

While I'm asking noobish questions - Will a ZJ D30 bolt into an XJ? Most of the ones at the yard had CVs, but one ZJ had U joints.

Thanks,

Skits

Hope you have an e12 torx socket for top 2 transmission bolts that are accessible when you lower the crossmember, for which you'll need a jack, wobbly/u-joint, 2-3 long extensions. 8mm for driveshaft, 13mm, 15mm, 16mm, 17mm, 18mm for various bolts(wrenches in same size for bolt&nut combos). A person to help.

Crossmember is already removed, as are both driveshafts. The entire drivetrain is hanging by motor mounts only. I'm doing this for a 2WD-4X4 conversion on my '99, so I need to grab the shifter, linkage, etc as well. I guess I'm going to separate the transfer case from the tranny so I can get them back to the trailer from the yard.

I did notice the ZJs were low-pinion, but it was all that was available in the yard. I'm going to do a rebuild on the TC and a SYE before I put it in my XJ, so I'll keep an eye out for a HP D30 in the mean time.

Is there any way to determine how many miles the donor vehicle has on it? I'm guessing not since battery is gone. Stupid digital odometers...

Back