• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Okay, now im angry, where else could this banging be?

twodoorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
For a while now ive been chasing a banging noise in the front end. Every time i run over a bump in the road there is a bang, it sounds like metal on metal. Today i changed upper and lower ball joints with spicers, thinking for sure they were the problem. They stopped the popping noise i got while turning, but the clunk over bumps is still there.

Heres what i changed recently:

Ball joints
upper control arm bushings
New sway bar links
new rock krawler track bar
Newer IRO long arms with good bushings and flex joints
I tightened the track bar bracket bolts, and the trackbar itself.
U joints are in good shape, and recently replaced
JCR 1 ton steering installed last month.

Im really completely stooped by this, i dont understand where else it could come from. Anyone have any ideas about what else this banging could be? Any help is greatly appreciated.

check your coil spring isolators, your coils spring retainers the shock bushings, the steering box, also check to see if your coils are hitting your bumpstop towers.

check your coil spring isolators, your coils spring retainers the shock bushings, the steering box, also check to see if your coils are hitting your bumpstop towers.

The coil spring retainers and isolaters are good, at a stand still the coils arent close to the towers. Now how would i check if the steering box was making noise?

Do you have a belly skid? My catalytic converter knocks on my skid when I go over big bumps.

Check your shock absorber bushings, top and bottom. Also check your sway bar bushings, sway bar links and associated bushings, and your steering box as noted. Just make sure the bolts for the box should be tight and that should do it.

Do you have a belly skid? My catalytic converter knocks on my skid when I go over big bumps.

I do, but there is clearence in between the two. The sound is definately coming from the front axle. Im not talking about big bumps, just any little crack or bump in the road, and it clunks.

Is noise free suspension travel too much to ask for?:bawl:

check your sway bar frame side bushings.... those often get overlooked.

also check the torque on all of the components you recently replaced.

the best way to check the steering box is to turn the key to on with or without the engine started. have someone crank the wheel while you sit right under the steering box.

How's your tranny mount? My t-case was banging against my floor, but I always sounded like it was coming from the front suspension

Now that you say that, that could be it. When i turn the ignition off, there is a rattling noise. Now im not sure what a bad tranny mount feels/sounds like, but i can move the tcase around the slightest bit by hand.

Should a transmission mount have any play in it?

I have seen a ton of XJ with clunks. Most were caused by the holes in the mountings for the control arms get wallowed out and the bolt slides around. Put a good coat of paint over the bolts and nuts and let it dry. Go drive it, then look closely to see if the paint has been broken. Other common places are the steering gear mount to the frame and the track bar mounting.

Now that you say that, that could be it. When i turn the ignition off, there is a rattling noise. Now im not sure what a bad tranny mount feels/sounds like, but i can move the tcase around the slightest bit by hand.

Should a transmission mount have any play in it?

This I would also like to know cause mine is very loosy goosy. I'm gonna be making a new cross member and tucking the drivetrain back up when I do my SYE and am wondering what mount material to use. Poly would be nice but I don't want anymore vibrations so rubber is probobly the go.

there shouldn't be any play in the tranny mount...

check all of your exhaust components... you could be hitting your manifold or front pipe with a CA or a driveshaft if the hangars are loose or broken.

This is kinda out there, but I chased a banging noise for months, thinking it was in my suspension or axle area (I was convinced at one point it was either a bad shock/mount or my muffler about to fall off) - then I got new motor mounts and voila, no more bang. Turns out it was the engine moving & causing various things to bang together. Might not be it for you, but I didn't see that on your list of things checked/replaced so thought I'd mention it.

Okay, seems like im gonna replace the frame side swaybar bushings, my trans mount, re-torque everything, and possibly motor mounts, ill have to check those.

Im also geting an allignment this week, ill have the tech take a look at the front end.

Back