• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D 44 with ARB cover fluid capacity

FearNoFish

NAXJA Forum User
I've just installed a D44 with an ARB locker. I also installed an ARB diff cover. The instructions with the diff cover show how to transfer the "fluid full" mark to the dipstick in the cover from the bottom of the fill hole in the stock cover.

Problem, I don't have a stock cover laying around. Can anyone maybe get me a measurment? Say maybe from a lower bolt hole center line to the bottom of the fill hole. Mine is a 87 Cherokee D44.

Thanks in advance.

FNF

fill it up as high as you can, the more the merrier..

Just put your finger in there and fill up to that.

The "dipstick/fill" hole is located higher on the ARB cover than the optimum fluid level. Thats why I need to place a mark on the dipstick indicating max full.

fill it up as high as you can, the more the merrier..

Overfilling will just send it out the vent tube and make one hell of a mess.

FNF

never had that problem nor does anyone I wheel with have that problem...

in fact most aftermarket covers have the fill hole up higher with the specific purpose of being able to have more fluid for better heat dissipation under the extreme conditions we often put our rigs through.

More importantly,did you grind the oil relief in the housing before installing the locker? Oil level should be about 1/4" higher than the bottom of the axle tube(Inside diameter).

More importantly,did you grind the oil relief in the housing before installing the locker? Oil level should be about 1/4" higher than the bottom of the axle tube(Inside diameter).

Yeah, thanks for the caution, I did grind a fluid return relief in the housing before installation.

As for the "fill it til it runs out the top" camp, these were the specific instructions included with the ARB cover. Considering my high opinion of everything they make, I think I would like to stay with their specifications.

FNF

I have the cover on my rear 60. I just fill it to the second to last notch on the dipstick iirc. Your really do not need a whole lot of oil in there. The ring gear flings it up and lubes the rest of the diff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ1Y_goOb-g

before you put the cover on, hold the dipstick up in its approximate location. then eyeball where you want your oil to fill up to. Pretty sure you do not want stagnate oil up to the pinion seal, as this would eventually cause a leak.

You would think for the amount of money they could make specific dipsticks for each cover with the appropriate fill line marked.

You would think for the amount of money they could make specific dipsticks for each cover with the appropriate fill line marked.

That sounds like a good idea,but only in a "perfect" world.Rotating the axle,such as shimming the axle will change the affective fill height.

That sounds like a good idea,but only in a "perfect" world.Rotating the axle,such as shimming the axle will change the affective fill height.

I had considered that, I removed & relocated my spring perches for axle rotation and it was obvious that I would have to make accomodations for it.

FNF

Back