• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front D44 78 bronco

tj'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know if they are even close to the same as what we need to do a swap? just had a buddy offer one up and said i could have it, i havent had a chance to do any measuring or even look @ it!! thanks

Skip it, the diff will be too centered, causing oil pan clearance issues, and the '78 F150 and bronco axles have thinner, weaker axle tubes, and cast wedges for mounting. This means there is no tube between the cast, and can not be narrowed, or cut off without retubing the entire axle.

I have been running a 78 Bronco D44 for years. The pumpkin is fine. The tubes are fine. If you run radius arms, it is a clean, cheap, great build.

GreenDay.jpg

im running the early bronco d44 on my setup. i love it. ive only had one issue with the oil pan clearance and it was no big deal. im also using the radius arms which made it the long arm setup. it works very well.

If you can get it for free sure.

I've seen far too many of the more favored D44s (mid-70s F150s, and 78-79 F250s) go for real cheap around here that it wouldn't be worth the headache to me.

Mine is a 79', pretty much the same thing. I used the ford arms as well. Pretty simple swap. I am running stock shafts and 37's and have broken 3 shafts already. I picked up a D60 and 70 last week and will be swapping them.

But the setup has worked great other than the 44 doesnt hold up to my heavy right foot. :gee:

0311001852.jpg

0311002010.jpg

v
0514001659.jpg

0515001916.jpg

IMG_0842Small.jpg

My friend ran one under his '93 for years and years. He converted it to work with his four link front suspension. It stood up to his abuse with 35s, but then again, so has my D30 :)

Back