• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking about making fenders flares

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to see how much demand there would be for some strong fibreglass fender flares. Fibreglass work is a hobby of mine and I've made a few jetski parts, sponsons and nose pieces mostly. The design would be similar to the iceland offroad flares as I love the look!

There is a few things I would change however, like the mounting and matching the contours of the body. I'm looking for opinions on what people are looking for in a aftermarket flare.

I'm still trying to come up with a goal as far as price point is concerned. What would be a fair price most people would be willing to pay?

* I would become a vendor here first before I would ever start selling anything

no clue about price point, but i think if you could mimick the look of the stock flare only wider that would be pretty cool.

no clue about price point, but i think if you could mimick the look of the stock flare only wider that would be pretty cool.
I was thinking about two different options, one being similar to a stock flare the would use the cut and fold method for the rear. The other involving a lot more cutting!

I like the iceland flares but wont buy because of the mounting and lack of contours inline with the body. I would be game. Get them looking like iceland's with mounting holes thru a lip and you'd sell tons. Keep us posted.

I like the iceland flares but wont buy because of the mounting and lack of contours inline with the body. I would be game. Get them looking like iceland's with mounting holes thru a lip and you'd sell tons. Keep us posted.
I think it will be easier to avoid making a lip and glass in steel inserts that the bolts would be welded to

Like he said, less then $300, and I'd buy.

For a flare that suited my exact needs, I'd easily pay $400. For one that was CLOSE, but lacked a few things, I'd do $300. I'm looking for a stock replica, but wider and allows for a moderate trimming. No cut and fold, and matches stock body lines. I distincly remember somone donig this with their stock flares on a red xj. Added about 4" to the center section to allow for cutting.

If you wheel your rigs,you need a flare that can take some abuse. You might look into Flexi-glass,that should do it!

Though it would be expensive an aramid/carbon hybrid material would be ideal.
I agree using a para-aramad like kevlar would be perfect, but most people here would not be willing to pay for a carbon/kevlar fender flare

The flare construction would most likely be a wet layup with various weights of biaxle fibreglass matting, polyester resin and gelcoat.

Its still going to break or totally f-up your fender!Also if your not making them wider or larger(wheel well clearance) whats the point.Its already been done and the outcome has already been stated!

Last edited:
Its still going to break or totally f-up your fender!Also if your not making them wider or larger(wheel well clearance) whats the point.Its already been done and the outcome has already been stated!
Obviously! No bolt on flare is going to prevent that from happening, but thanks for you input

Were did I say I would make a stock size fender flare!?

Back