• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

31s or 33s any ideas

cashsxj

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have 31 10.5s on 15x8 classic 2s and was wondering if anyone has run a 33 12.5 on a 15x8 , got a deal on some 33s but not enough funds for new wheels. Ideas, Pics, Pros, Cons thanks

Moving to modified tech :thumbup:

I'm running 33x11.5s (well, 285/75r16s) on 16x8s, you should be fine. Depending on backspacing you might need to keep an eye on clearance to your leaf springs - check how much space you have with the 31x10.5s, then take an inch or so off.

You may also need to adjust you steering stops so the tires dont rub the lower control arms at full lock. What gears are you running? what size lift do you have?

Not familiar with the brand, but damn that's cheap!

holy crap, the chrome 15x8 3" BS ones for 17 bucks make me wish I still ran 15s.

Wow, thanks AnarchyJet! I just picked up a set of 5 of the 15x8's for under $100 shipped! You rock!!

If i had 5-5.5 inches of lift and ran 33x12.5's would 4 3/4 inch backspacing be too much for stock flares? I;m running stock d30 and d35 as of right now. Would it make it "too" wide?

If i had 5-5.5 inches of lift and ran 33x12.5's would 4 3/4 inch backspacing be too much for stock flares? I;m running stock d30 and d35 as of right now. Would it make it "too" wide?

It would actually be narrow...in fact, probably a little too narrow for a 12.5" tire. I searched around and it seems like the consensus for a 33x12.5" tire is about 3.75-4.00" backspacing.

I might have to order these and for my DIY beadlocks.... hmmmm

Thanks Porch951, All this time I had the whole idea of backspacing inverted. Haha Thanks for your help

It would actually be narrow...in fact, probably a little too narrow for a 12.5" tire. I searched around and it seems like the consensus for a 33x12.5" tire is about 3.75-4.00" backspacing.
You're right 4.75 is too much backspacing. I had that at first and would rub my LCAs and was VERY close to kissing the leaf spring clamps. I ended up getting 15x8 Cragar V-5s with 3.75" and with a 12.5 wide tire they poke out past stock pre 97 rear flares and 4.5" wide TJ flares in the front. I would get 4" backspacing if you aren't too worried about going past flares, or toss on some TJ flares. Or go 4.25" and deal with a little bit of LCA polishing.

Then again, i figured at $100/shipped for 5 rims, i could buy spacers if i wanted! :)

I'm running 15x8s. DOn't know backspacing, but it's probably close to stock. Fits great out back, had to run spacers up front.

Well damn...just got a message on my phone from LeftHander chassis that "the wheels weren't even supposed to be on the website". They have 0 in stock and they cancelled my order. This was for the 15x8's.

I'm not terribly shocked, but maybe a little disappointed! :)

Edit: The lady also said that "their clearance section has been updated and is now correct"...except...that those 15x8's are still on there. They also have some chrome ones. Maybe i'll just try again?? WTH...

ive got 33 12.5's running 4-4.5" of lift with 15x8 black steelies and 5" of backspacing and im running the factory flares on my 96. i rub on the lower control arms at full lock, just gonna adjust the steering stops. i dont rub on the rear spring clamps and my tires fit almost flush with the flares. so far i absolutely love this setup, the low center of gravity and bigger tires is awesome. cant figure why i ever thought of 31's!

Back