• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift and gearing questions

itbrokeagain

NAXJA Forum User
I hate my Yj right now. In November, the wiring harness melted and the computer fried. I got it all fixed and running but it wasnt running very well. It quit again and I am having issues getting it going.

I am thinking about parting it. I picked up a Landcruiser to build but after I found out a STOCK replacement radiator was $489 I decided to sell it. Parts are going to be ridiculous for it.

How much lift do I need to comfortably fit my 37 inch Boggers? What gearing would be best to run? I will likely take the axles from my Yj for the Xj. It will be licensed but will not be a DD. MY Yj has a built Dana 44 and Dana 60 with 5.38s.

Last edited:
I would say 8" and keep the 5.38's if your going to use it in the rocks and especially if you don't plan to DD it, mine has 6" lift, 35's and 4.56's I wouldn't go any lower it on the lift or it will limit my flex. Keep in mind though that some lift kits will give you more lift (more than advertised) than other so you might want to research that too before you buy anything.

It's really a question of how much you want to cut. With proper bumpstopping and heavy trimming, you can fit 37s on 3". Ask ktm_racer. I'm at 5.5" and could run 37s if I wanted, I would just have to adjust bumpstops.

It's really a question of how much you want to cut. With proper bumpstopping and heavy trimming, you can fit 37s on 3". Ask ktm_racer. I'm at 5.5" and could run 37s if I wanted, I would just have to adjust bumpstops.

^^^ you can trim the front end of cherokees a lot...rear end not as much unless you cut into the pinchseam.

I'm on 5.5 with 33"s and a ton of clearance.

Right now I am trimmed alot. I am running 31 mts with two inch spacers and shackles but 33s look very doable the way it sits.. My plan was 6.5 Rough Country coils with the spacers and an mj/xj bastard pack with the two inch shackles and the relocating brackets. I was just curious what everyones opinion was. I want all the lift for the clearance. I do run rocks and when my 37s need to be replaced I do want to go little bigger.

6.5" and heavily trimmed will fit 37's well.

Seach the Dakota/s10 bastard pack thread. MJ leaves are tough to find, leave them for the guys with MJ's and go rape one of the 9 million S10s in the yard.

^^^ you can trim the front end of cherokees a lot...rear end not as much unless you cut into the pinchseam.

I'm on 5.5 with 33"s and a ton of clearance.
Search ktm_racer, he was runnin 37s on like 3" or so, pretty crazy lookin. Worked real well for him. :)

Search ktm_racer, he was runnin 37s on like 3" or so, pretty crazy lookin. Worked real well for him. :)

I was curious so i searched on it, this was the best set of pics i could find:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1006185

Looks great, but one of the pics looks like there's only ~2-3" of travel before the bumpstop--not sure i'd really want to do that??

not like he even wheeled the thing :moon:

:D

He had plenty of droop from what I understand, was fairly competent in rock racing in spots where others had a hard time.

Didn't mean to badmouth the setup or anything--it sounds like he did well with it. I'm just not sure i'd aim for that kind of a setup if i was planning a buildup.

Back